Notary Rotary
Let's Plan a Boycott. One day when no one takes a signing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Notary On The Go on 11/18/13 10:48pm
Msg #493207

from anyone in the SPW group. You can sign for those who aren't, so you won't starve, but I think it could send a message. Thoughts??? Credit to an anonymous source for the suggestion.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/18/13 11:19pm
Msg #493209

I don't think I can agree with that at this time.

When you boycott a store, you are not paying them.

When you boycott a hiring entity, THEY are not paying YOU. You will be shooting yourself in the foot and you may find yourself permanently off of a list you may desperately want to be on later.

There will be someone who will take that job cheaper than you would have, and you will be gone forever.

Don't do it. That's my suggestion.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/19/13 6:56am
Msg #493218

I wouldn't consider boycotting anyone until

all this mess washes out. And I agree with Brenda - I'm not shooting myself in the foot over this - although I admit I MIGHT take it as an opportunity to get my point across to them about their supposed "standards" .. Smile

Reply by 101livescan on 11/19/13 8:57am
Msg #493223

I see no merit in stepping in cow pies

It seems pointless, and counter productive to what notaries public represent, dependability, focus, professionalism, etc.

I think it's not a good idea to retaliate in this manner.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/19/13 7:43pm
Msg #493325

2nd'ing on the cowpie status of suggestion n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 11/19/13 9:30am
Msg #493228

Each individual has to decide how they're going to handle

this. The suggestion of a "boycott" is similar to a union "strike" mentality, and has no place in this business, IMO.

Reply by 101livescan on 11/19/13 10:18am
Msg #493243

Rethinking your proposal for boycott

is exactly the type of radical behavior professional notaries will not sign up for. It is apparent this forum doesn't give your anonymous source a high score for this suggestion.

Furthermore, please have the courage and the forthrightness to identify yourself if you want this community to continue to read and to respond to your posts. Right now, it seems a good many of us are sitting back, watching, reading, gleaning what kind of well thought out and solid position we will take given all this new information we've just been handed on October 29. It is important to be proactive and not reactive and shoot from the hip.

This is not a time to react without good common horse sense. We need to be credible, reliable and on a solid footing when we do respond proactively.

Got any better ideas for us? We welcome constructive, meaningful, well thought out ideas, plans, responses to this huge change in our industry.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/19/13 7:44pm
Msg #493326

2nd'ing on this too--101 n/m

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/19/13 11:10am
Msg #493252

I would join in

We are not organized, the SPW and NNA know that and will wait until the complaining dies down and then proceed as planned.

Hell, I'd rather sit here on my rear end blogging my complaints to the wind and feel like I'm having an impact on that day, than to do the same while I'm slowly getting my throat cut and not doing anything about it.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/19/13 11:18am
Msg #493253

Re: I would join in

I would call it a one-day work stoppage or something similar. A boycott implies, for example, that we are boycotting a product until the item is removed from the shelf, or an employers pays decent wages or its workers or something like that.

BTW, we are businesses or independent contractors and not employees so any analogies to unions doesn't fit. Further, businesses have united and protested things such as excessive or oppressive regulation, etc.

Reply by Ali/IL on 11/19/13 11:58am
Msg #493259

Re: I would join in

That is something that we shouldn't be doing.

And, in my area I am not getting any calls anyway.

Reply by HSH/WA on 11/19/13 12:09pm
Msg #493264

Re: First we need a hit team to enforce the boycott. lol n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 11/19/13 12:21pm
Msg #493269

Re: First we need a hit team to enforce the boycott. lol

No, Howie, we need pragmatic, logical, clear thinking individuals. This kind of radical thinking and projectile is not representative of the solid, professional notary officials who have exhibited best practices in our industry.

Back to the drawing board, you guys. Let's hear some better thought out plans and ideas, not a bunch of ranting, raving and wilda$$ed conjecture.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/19/13 12:25pm
Msg #493270

Completely voluntary, I represent ME not anyone else

Participation not required.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/19/13 6:52pm
Msg #493317

I completely agree, Cheryl. The last thing we need now is

this kind of thinking. It will play right into NNA's plans.

Reply by CH2inCA on 11/19/13 12:32pm
Msg #493272

I'm game; what day; which companies?

Until we act as a group, noone will take us seriously.

Reply by FGX/NJ on 11/19/13 12:52pm
Msg #493274

Re: Let

I doubt if they would notice as there are 102 NNA cetifed signing agents within 10 miles of my zip code, listed on signingagent.com

Reply by Steven Bautista on 11/19/13 4:32pm
Msg #493294

We are the obstacle

We are the biggest obstacle. I have over 100 competitors in my area and prices for signings are dirt low. Sad part is that those who are taking the low offers are either part-timers, newbies or people without any business sense. Yes, they will fail and move on, but others will take their place and continue this horrid cycle. If we find a way to make it so that we cannot shoot the "proverbial" foot, only then we can do something meaningful.

Reply by garland/CA on 11/19/13 5:25pm
Msg #493303

How do you check notaries on signingagent.com? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.