Local Woman to me ID Theft Victim in 5 States
Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 11/3/13 10:14am
Msg #491086

Local Woman to me ID Theft Victim in 5 States

Santa Maria Woman Victim Of Identity Theft In Five States
Posted: Nov 02, 2013 7:19 PM PDT Updated: Nov 02, 2013 7:19 PM PDT

By Liberty Zabala - email

SANTA MARIA, Calif. -- A Santa Maria woman says she's been a victim of identity theft for more than five years and didn't even know it!

Lupe Aguilar says she's had to fight for her own name.

"They have me in Pennsylvania and in California in the same year," says Aguilar. "That's even funnier."

Aguilar was shocked when she found Social Security documents stating she's worked in more than five different states from Nebraska to Mississippi and even Texas.

"And I was just like, but I never lived there!" says Aguilar.

Dumbfounded, Aguilar contacted local law enforcement and discovered her identity had been stolen and used to gain employment at different businesses for the past ten years.

And Aguilar isn't alone. According to the California Department of Justice, more than 1.6 million Californians fell victim to identity theft just last year.

Authorities says once you find out that your identity has been stolen to immediately contact your police department and file a report. Once you file the report, police usually give you a copy along with an incident number card.

"Then when you're contacted by merchants about merchandise that you allegedly purchased, you can say 'no, I've been a victim of identity theft and here's the report number, you can get a copy', says former FBI agent Dan Payne who says he's been a victim of identity theft himself.

The only problem is, Aguilar says, so far the police departments from the other states have been reluctant to work with her.

"It's a frustrating thing when someone else is making that bill for you and you have to pay it," says Aguilar. "It's like, 'no I'm not paying nobody else's bills, I can barely afford to pay my own.

According to the CA DOJ, the total cost of identity theft in the U.S. last year was $21 billion.

Reply by Les_CO on 11/3/13 10:32am
Msg #491087

Maybe some of you notaries should think twice before sending someone you don’t know, have never met, and that may work for a questionable or just started today company your Social Security number, and a copy of your Driver’s license? Or a BGC that may contain such information, and then sign a form giving them permission to disseminate your confidential information to anyone they choose?

Reply by sueharke on 11/3/13 10:38am
Msg #491089

Writing as a CPA. There are times I suggest people get their credit report. Did you name show up on unclaimed property in a state you live in current or in the past? If yes and you have no proof of living at that address, it might show up on a credit report allowing you to claim the money or property.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 11/3/13 11:26am
Msg #491107

Sue, I'm not following you. What do credit reports and identity theft have to do with an unclaimed property that I don't have anyway?

Reply by sueharke on 11/3/13 5:33pm
Msg #491138

Okay, it is off-topic and I should have said that -- my bad. If you are lucky enough to find unclaimed property on your state website or other official source, the gov't want something to prove you live at that address. If you find a dead relative name and you have a right to inherit the property, you need to prove that too and that maybe you lived at that address (or maiden name). When all else fails, a credit report may have the information you need. I see nothing wrong with getting $$$ in this bad economy.

Since notary work is down, maybe some lucky notary who has had an issue with identity theft can use this to find money to live on. In my bad, this is what I was thinking when I wrote that first post.

Reply by sueharke on 11/3/13 10:34am
Msg #491088

This is a good reason to get your free credit report every year from all three credit agencies. Remember to use "freecreditreport.com" not the companies who charge you for the credit reports.

Reply by Les_CO on 11/3/13 10:59am
Msg #491099

Excellent advice! n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 11/3/13 11:08am
Msg #491102

I recently obtained a personal line of credit from my bank of 30 years, and they provided me with my credit scores. I've noticed in the car loans/leases I'm doing recently, the borrower/lessee is getting a copy of his credit scores at the time of signing also.

Good to know you're credit worthiness status. The freecreditreport from the three agencies is good since it shows all lines of credit opened in your name.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/3/13 11:48am
Msg #491109

I subscribe to a credit monitoring service through

Costco. I know what my credit report says at all times, and I get an email notice any time there is any activity in my file. I like that "insurance". ;-)

Reply by Christine/OK on 11/3/13 1:49pm
Msg #491124

Marilyn=> I, too, have credit monitoring service thru USAA

Also receive email/phone text notification for any activity day or night, plus a new credit report from all 3 credit reporting bureaus each month included in the monitoring fee. Great for peace of mind. Big Smile

Reply by John Tennant on 11/3/13 12:50pm
Msg #491118

I get a different one every three months to protect myself n/m

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/3/13 7:24pm
Msg #491152

"Remember to use "freecreditreport.com" not the companies who charge you for the credit reports."

That should be "annualcreditreport.com", which is the web site set up by the FTC.

The one you mentioned is the company that has the silly advertisements on TV...

Reply by sueharke on 11/3/13 9:45pm
Msg #491165

Thank you for the correction. That is the correct website. I am sorry for posting the wrong website as I had a minor emergency when writing that post. I do not have any issue saying I'm wrong, especially when another person helps correct the error.

Reply by Larry/IL on 11/3/13 9:54pm
Msg #491166

IRS site actually recommends annualcreditreport.com as well. n/m

Reply by SL_CA on 11/3/13 1:52pm
Msg #491126

I was a victim too. I believe mine was taken from information given to a Signing Services in Jacksonvill FL. They had procured 2 phones with Verizon and made long distances phone calls until Verizon shut them down for non payment. I found out about it when a Collection Agency called me about it. It took a lot of calls and letters to have it taken off my report. It is still on the report (as a close case without the reason why it was forgiven)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.