Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #634043

4 replies
new 1003
By Barbara Goetsch on 8/4/21 4:42pm

I have done many signings since the new form came out and today I got one that I have questions about. There was almost no information filled in regarding the borrowers - employment information, income, etc. I have never seen one before with so little information.
Am I required to have the borrower fill in that information or is that just the way the lender wants it?

Msg #634030

15 replies
echeck payments
By dlcva on 8/4/21 7:28am

is anyone else having a problem cashing echecks

Msg #634010

17 replies
Blowing smoke
By  Cheryl Elliott on 8/2/21 7:28pm

I just read a profile of a notary who boasts she has signed over 1000 loans and makes 7 figures. This must be the new math I keep hearing about.

Msg #634004

2 replies
A360 Inc fka Express Notaries
By  Cheryl Elliott on 8/2/21 4:09pm

Looks like a buy out by a new company.

http://www.a360inc.com/people.html

Henry Davidson | EVP, Business Development, Notary Services
Shane Coffman | SVP, Closing & Signing Solutions

Wonder if their fees will be better?

Msg #633999

9 replies
Knee surgery, how long can I expect to be out of commission
By IAC on 8/2/21 1:59pm

I have a knee replacement surgery coming up just wondering from fellow notaries if anyone has had one what can I expect as far as being out of commission, I am not set up to RON Z( we have horrible internet) so I don't want to loose my clients I've worked hard to establish. So any suggestions.

Msg #633998

4 replies
suggestions on getting more business??
By Vicki Neider on 8/2/21 1:15pm

My business has come to a screeching halt in California. Any suggestions on getting more work???

Msg #633997

4 replies
major slow down in California
By Vicki Neider on 8/2/21 1:13pm

Is it me or did our California signing notary business come to screeching halt?!?!

Msg #633992

1 replies
Need tech expertise with Scansnap S1500 drivers
By  Cheryl Elliott on 8/1/21 9:45pm

I have a new internet provider which is wireless called PEAK WIFI so that I can connect anywhere in my house, barn and garage. I am moving my office from the upstairs to downstairs bonus room off the garage.

I'm trying to connect Scansnap with my Dell Inspirion with Windows 10, and when I try to connect it says drivers are not available.

Is there is qwik fix here? Maybe I'm too tired after chasing goats and dogs all day...

Msg #633975

6 replies
A Step Above owned by Angie McCloud in Adamsville, IN
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/31/21 9:09pm

Angie McCloud aka Angie Fletcher aka Angie Young dba ASA Signing Service has ungraciously thrown in the towel, announcing she is done with the signing business on the java site, and if are owed any money, please contact her.

I do hope all notaries are paid successfully. She was handing out assignments as recently as yesterday.

Can her company's demise really happen? Or is this simply a threat. After all, this has provided her an excellent living for several years. Did her vendors finally tire of all the notaries contacting them about nonpayment issues?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Msg #633970

12 replies
House stealing is real, happening infrequently, but still a
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/31/21 3:44pm

concern as confirmed with me this morning by a SB County Sheriff Sergeant who told me about an elderly who came into the station crying her eyes out that she was being evicted from her home of 40 years.

House stealing is the latest scam on the block. Remember a poster that came onto NR a little over a year ago talking about his family homes being stolen from them through fraudulent sales to investors?

What do you get when you combine two popular rackets these days—identity theft and mortgage fraud? A totally new kind of crime: house stealing.

Here’s how it generally works:

The con artists start by picking out a house to steal—say, YOURS. Next, they assume your identity—getting a hold of your name and personal information (easy enough to do off the Internet) and using that to create fake IDs, social security cards, etc. Then, they go to an office supply store and purchase forms that transfer property. After forging your signature and using the fake IDs, they get these documents notarized, and then they file these deeds with the proper authorities, and lo and behold, your house is now THEIRS.

There are some variations on this theme…

Con artists look for a vacant house—say, a vacation home or rental property—and do a little research to find out who owns it. Then, they steal the owner’s identity, go through the same process of transferring the deed, put the empty house on the market, and pocket the profits.

Or, the fraudsters steal a house a family is still living in…find a buyer (someone, say, who is satisfied with a few online photos) and sell the house without the family even knowing. In fact, the rightful owners continue right on paying the mortgage for a house they no longer own.

It can get even more complicated than this in a recent case out of Los Angeles that was investigated with the IRS. Last year, a real estate business owner in southeast Los Angeles pled guilty to leading a scam that defrauded more than 100 homeowners and lenders out of some $12 million. She promised to help struggling homeowners pay their mortgages by refinancing their loans. Instead, she and her partners in crime used stolen identities or “straw buyers” (people who are paid for the illegal use of their personal information) to purchase these homes. They then pocketed the money they borrowed but never made any mortgage payments. In the process, the true owners lost the title to their homes and the banks were out the money they had loaned to fake buyers.

So how can prevent your house from getting stolen? The best you can do at this point is to stay vigilant. A few suggestions:

If you receive a payment book or information from a mortgage company that’s not yours, whether your name is on the envelope or not, don’t just throw it away. Open it, figure out what it says, and follow up with the company that sent it.

From time to time, it’s also a good idea to check all information pertaining to your house through your county’s deeds office. If you see any paperwork you don’t recognize or any signature that is not yours, look into it.

House-stealing is not too common at this point, but the FBI and law enforcement are keeping an eye out for any major cases or developing trends. Please contact the FBI or your local law enforcement if you think you’ve been victimized.

There are so many scams out there these days, and the scammers prey on the elderly!

Msg #633963

6 replies
Does this fall under the statute of limitations or?
By Alz on 7/31/21 11:27am

I’ve been hired to notarize a declaration of a former notary. The notary notarized the document in 2003 and later retired in 2008. Long story, short. The content and/or validity of the document is now being contested in a court of law.

According to our California Notary Public Handbook, “Within 30 days from the date the notary public commission is no longer valid, the notary public must deliver all notarial journals, records and papers to the county clerk’s office where the oath is on file’.

Just when you think you are safe…. My county, so I’m told, will only keep the journals for 10 years, after which will be destroyed.

Does this mean, that the notary would have to rely on their memory, in this case? IMJS

Msg #633944

18 replies
I can't be the only frog feeling this pot get warmer
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/30/21 10:24am

Hoards of people flocking to the central coast, folks from WA, OR, ID, NV, escaping the smoke in favor of cleaner air and the threat of fire in their communities, including northern CA.

We were out last night until 10:30 pm, and the freeway was a steady stream of headlights in both directions. Was so happy to get home and meet no vehicles on our two-lane country road.

Msg #633940

3 replies
No Title Documents in Loan Package?
By Alz on 7/30/21 8:57am

One of my favorite LOs switched over from that very strict Lender to Quicken. By the way, they have mellowed out since the switch, I might add.

The most recent refi is being conduct via their own title company Amrock. My first experience, as a local title company is generally used.

Questions. Is it normal with Amrock that they do not include title documents? Do they always require an invoice prior to sending documents?

Msg #633934

6 replies
Loan Depot
By Corrinna Jordan on 7/29/21 11:25pm

Please bear with me. I'm not able to find things I'm looking for here. Every time I try to use the site, I'm not too successful. I am looking for information on Loan Depot. I've seen people talk about them in FB. When I search them, Notary Rotary is one search result and mentions where Loan Depot is located, but when I click on it, it takes me to the list, to which Home Depot is not listed. I see there have been some posts about LD, but the last one was from early 2020. Please help. Thank you.

Msg #633910

16 replies
LOs attending the signings. How do you fell about it?
By Alz on 7/28/21 8:54pm

Personally, I don’t mind…that is if I know them. It’s essential for each person to respect the other’s process.

When I know the LOs, everything tends to flow appropriately. When I don’t, then I have to figure out the dance, so to speak.

Who’s is leading? IMJS

Msg #633899

6 replies
E&O Insurance
By  Regal/NC on 7/28/21 12:58pm

Anyone able to contact NR regarding insurance? Order placed, email and voicemail sent no response!

Msg #633898

2 replies
$75 for 100 page seller's package??
By  Yoli/CA on 7/28/21 12:05pm

Nope, don't think so. Scheduler kept mentioning it's a small package -- approx. 40 pages as signing package and approx. 50 pages for seller's package ... oh, and by the way, did I mention Spanish is required! I quoted her my fee and that's when she said they typically pay $75 for a seller's package and if they'll approve it, she'll call back. Yeah, right.

This is a 3-1/2 star company in the San Diego area.

Msg #633891

7 replies
123 Lump Sum
By Rosanne Pagnotta-Lee on 7/28/21 10:32am

Was called to do a signing for this company & accepted thinking it was in my neighborhood, as told when I received the call. When I received the package, it was further away than told, but I committed myself. When trying to reach the client by both phone and texts, I had no response & told the rep I could not complete the mission. I was contacted the next day & told client was on board. Tried to contact her again by phone and text, with no response until hours later. Finally set up a time & confirmed by text with client.
Drove out of my area only to pull up to a horrific property with no client. Was told by someone at the property she was running 20 minutes late. Tried again to contact her myself, with no luck. Finally she texted me she would be later than scheduled. I tried to setup meeting her where she was & requested to be called, with no luck of a response.
Outcome was I texted I did not answer my phone & she complained that I arrived too early at her property! I was 5 minutes early to make sure I got there in time.
I tried calling the above company with my dilemna, but no response from them either. I emailed them when I got home with my concerns, only to be called & hung up on when I told them what happened. The response was, "I was paying you $100.00 to do this".
Unprofessional, arrogant and would not deal with them again. They are blocked from my phone.

Msg #633887

5 replies
What an amazing first experience! Marketing to do it again..
By Alz on 7/28/21 10:00am

I was recently asked to be part of a future attorney’s oath ceremony, i.e., Attorney’s Oath of Office, at our State Capitol. I know some of the CA Notaries are familiar with these. However, it was my first. In fact, I didn’t know there was a such thing. (So, an ole dog can learn a new trick?)

Consequently, I did a little research and discovered a few professionals quite involved in these types of assignments. My hat off to those who have posted about this in the past.

Thus, I will continue to say, there are a plethora of opportunities for Notaries out there. You only need to seek, and you will find or maybe they will find you, as it was for me. IMJS.

Msg #633873

7 replies
Does know if RON notaries pay more for E&O?
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/27/21 4:31pm

I was looking at the cost of E&O in OR seemed to quote this coverage differently for RON Notaries.

Has any one in other states realized an uptick in policy premiums for RON notaries.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.