Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Yesterday I had a signing.
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 7/20/21 8:29pm Msg #633664
I had a somewhat similar situation last night, but there were a few critical differences. It was also for a couple who got married in the past year or so, but her lack of acceptable ID wasn't for lack of trying. She'd applied for a name change, but still hadn't received all the paperwork she needed to take to the DMV to get a new ID because of delays due to Covid. Fortunately, the lender and title co were already in the loop, so they'd already made arrangements to have two Credible Witnesses available, and I was able to proceed without issue.

BTW, one other possibility no one mentioned for the situation described in the original post is that someone was trying to pull a fast one... It does make you wonder why someone wouldn't change her ID after 30 years, although many women choose to keep their maiden names for professional reasons. What I don't understand, though, is why they use their husband's name anyway. Just for fewer questions? I don't know.

Having said that, I have an old friend who has done that very thing. She's someone with some clout and influence and is proud of her family name. I only learned about this when we met for lunch one time she was in town and she asked me to notarize something for her. The document had her maiden name and husband's name hyphenated, which she has been using for ages, but she never had it legally changed and didn't have his name on her DL. (She didn't explain why and I didn't press it.)

She figured I'd be perfect to handle this, since I was at her wedding and knew her to be the person named in the document. Unfortunately, that was after personal knowledge was eliminated as a form of satisfactory evidence in California requiring everyone to provide proper ID. When I explained that, she said "No problem, I'll just get my attorney to do it." I don't have any doubt that her attorney would do anything she wants... Wink But also I can't imagine her being rude or trying to intimidate a notary...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Yesterday I had a signing. - Gavina Franklin on 7/20/21 2:33pm
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. -  Bee_CA on 7/20/21 3:25pm
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. - Luckydog on 7/20/21 3:55pm
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. - Gavina Franklin on 7/20/21 4:31pm
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. -  Yoli/CA on 7/20/21 6:01pm
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. -  JanetK_CA on 7/20/21 8:29pm
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. - Luckydog on 7/20/21 6:54pm
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. - Wendy Williams on 7/20/21 6:50pm
 You are not alone, Gavina. Stand firm. n/m - Alz on 7/20/21 9:17pm
 Re: You are not alone, Gavina. Stand firm. - pdl/cali on 7/21/21 12:04am
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. - Joy/AK on 7/21/21 3:31am
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. - Luckydog on 7/21/21 10:56am
 Re: Yesterday I had a signing. -  JanetK_CA on 7/21/21 2:57pm
 Funny I had same exact issue tonight - SReis on 7/22/21 9:59pm
 Re: Funny I had same exact issue tonight -  JanetK_CA on 7/23/21 2:02pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.