Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Thank You California Notaries
Posted by PegiT_MN of MN on 9/17/18 10:20pm Msg #598597
Your advice and encouragement over the years in regard to working directly with local title companies is starting to pay off for me. It has been a two year uphill battle trying to get my foot in the door with the local title companies because here in Minnesota they typically do not use outside closers, mobile notaries, contract closers, etc. They keep all of the business in-house with their employees performing all of the closings. It is my understanding and experience that outside closers are only used in extreme circumstances. Most of the title companies are owned by the real estate companies they service.

Last year I was approached by a local title company asking me if I would like to do some overflow closings for them. Of course I said yes, but it has been over a year and still no closings. Again, it is because they would rather do their closings themselves when possible, rather than to farm it out to an outsider.

I have a very dear realtor friend who works for the real estate agency that owns the title company I am signed up with and she is trying her hardest to see if she can get me some business, as I have recently referred business to her. I am happy to report that I did my first sellers package for them on Friday . . . and I have another sellers package for them later this month.

Here in Minnesota it is very hard to get your foot in the door with the local title companies, and if you are lucky enough to do so, it is a totally different experience than what we are used to. In Minnesota, everyone involved in the transaction shows up at the table at the same time. On one side of the table you have the buyers, their real estate agent, their loan officer, and their title person. On the other side of the table you have the sellers, their real estate agent, and their title person. The closing commences, everyone is talking at once, papers are flying all over the place, and people are signing whatever is thrown in front of them. It is the most fast-paced, loud, unorganized, fiasco I have ever seen . . . but it works . . . and that is how it is done here. When everyone is done passing their papers around the table and everyone has signed what they need to sign, the two title people excuse themselves from the table, go into a tiny room and start making an endless number of copies for everyone who attended the closing to go home with. Each agent gets two ALTA's and their checks, the buyers get their signed loan package, as well as two extra copies of the ALTA for homesteading and tax purposes and paperwork that the seller signed, the sellers get their signed copies along with their check and another ALTA for them for their taxes as well as paperwork that the buyer signed, the title company for the buyers gets all the originals to fund the loan and a bunch of copies, and the title company for the sellers gets a bunch of copies and a check. All the appropriate copies are passed around to the appropriate people and everyone shakes hands and says what a wonderful experience it was and everyone goes about their business . . . but not before the sellers tell the buyers a few wonderful memories they shared in that house and to please not change the wallpaper in the dining room because it was a labor of love. It is certainly a lot different than performing a closing one-on-one with your borrowers or sellers in the comfort of their dining room with their sweet little dog or cat laying at your feet.

So as different of an experience as this was for me, I am up for the challenge. I know all of the documents like the back of my hand. I just need to learn that the papers are going to fly, and everyone is talking to everyone all at once and to just keep everyone signing and stamping and make those copies and go on to the next one.

So again, thank you to all of the California notaries who have been encouraging us to try and get that local business. If not for you and your words of wisdom, encouragement, and knowledge, I would have never been able to do this.

Thank you. Thank you so much.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Thank You California Notaries - PegiT_MN on 9/17/18 10:20pm
 Re: Thank You California Notaries -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/17/18 10:29pm
 Kudos to you for going for it - and sharing your experience. -  JanetK_CA on 9/17/18 10:30pm
 Re: Thank You California Notaries - ananotary on 9/17/18 11:14pm
 Congrats, Pegi! Thanks for that wonderful description of - Yoli/CA on 9/18/18 7:48am
 Re: Congrats, Pegi! Thanks for that wonderful description of - ananotary on 9/18/18 9:21am
 Networking works! -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/18/18 9:26am
 This post gets the Grade - NVLSlady/VA on 9/18/18 11:05am
 There's so much sugar posted here I went in to insulin - grapebed on 9/18/18 2:39pm
 It's mile high uplifting -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/18/18 7:15pm
 So much sugar . . . - NVLSlady/VA on 9/18/18 11:46pm
 I meant every word of my post. Did you think I was . . - grapebed on 9/19/18 2:13am
 Re: I meant every word of my post. Did you think I was . . - NVLSlady/VA on 9/19/18 8:15am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.