Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Are you making any money at that fee?
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 5/9/19 2:39pm Msg #606278
It sounds like it's time to sit down with your calculator (and maybe a spreadsheet) and do the math. Come up with an idea of what ALL your costs of doing business are.

Include fixed costs like equipment, e.g do you have a monthly payment for your cell phone itself? What is the replacement cost for printer/scanner or other equipment that is used heavily in your business. What about your car? How many fewer miles would you drive if you didn't have this business? So you're doing routine maintenance on your vehicle more frequently, not to mention monthly payments. (What percent of total miles are driven for business?) Don't forget services you have to pay for (internet access, cell plan, anti-virus, etc.) with whatever percentage of your usage is business related. What about insurance? Advertising? Memberships? Supplies like pens, business cards, etc.

Most of us are more aware of our variable expenses, such as paper, toner, gas, that can be calculated per assignment. These are directly subtracted from our per-assignment fee. Then figure out how much total time a signing takes, including administrative time, like printing & prepping docs, answering emails, confirming appointments, invoicing, other bookkeeping, dealing with changes, etc., etc.

Finally, the item that I'd bet most don't factor in is income taxes - including whatever portion of self-employment taxes you pay. Now you pretty much have all the information you need (plus whatever I'm forgetting) to figure out what you're really making an hour. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that people who are accepting $50 fees are not only making less than minimum wage, some of them may even be working at a loss. At least that would mean not having to pay taxes on that income - but I don't think that's why folks get into business. Wink If they do, their business is in danger of being ruled a hobby by the IRS, in which case none of your business expenses are deductible any more and your loss is even greater.

(Take a look at Msg #606198 for a comparison of the impact of different fee levels.)

Once you've done the math, you'll have a good idea as to whether or not it's even worth putting more time and effort into your notary business. You might be better off pursuing something else or even getting a full time job... I agree with the others, though, that some of these outfits will tell notaries anything to get them to work for as little as possible. It's up to each us to stick up for ourselves and not get taken.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Question for Seattle Notaries - Mamacita/Wa on 5/9/19 8:38am
 Re: Question for Seattle Notaries - Luckydog on 5/9/19 8:55am
 Re: Question for Seattle Notaries - Mamacita/Wa on 5/9/19 10:57am
 Re: Question for Seattle Notaries - Luckydog on 5/9/19 11:27am
 Who's the signing service claiming this? n/m - Yoli/CA on 5/9/19 9:01am
 Re: Who -  Mike Goodey on 5/9/19 10:22am
 I assume you're talking about fees for loan signings, and -  MW/VA on 5/9/19 10:09am
 I think it would be awful to work for so cheap -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/9/19 10:29am
 Re: I think it would be awful to work for so cheap -  janCA on 5/9/19 11:08am
 No clue who the players are...just that they are NUTS. - Lee/AR on 5/9/19 11:58am
 Re: No clue who the players are...just that they are NUTS. - Mamacita/Wa on 5/9/19 12:43pm
 Re: No clue who the players are...just that they are NUTS. -  jojo_MN on 5/9/19 12:47pm
 Time to market--to them! And others, as well. - Lee/AR on 5/9/19 1:12pm
 Brand New Certified Notaries .... - BobbiCT on 5/9/19 12:07pm
 Are you making any money at that fee? -  JanetK_CA on 5/9/19 2:39pm
 "Recent SS - what is meant? - NVLSlady/VA on 5/9/19 4:30pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.