Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Illiterate, blind, and deaf
Posted by Carolyn Bodley of CO on 5/18/19 4:56pm Msg #606526
Illiterate means a person can’t read and/or write. I know a very intelligent older man who can’t read, but can write—carries on meaningful conversations, and understands better than some highly educated people. Blind in one eye — he still has another eye. Again, I know totally blind friends who can maneuver better than me. Deaf with hearing aids — this tells me he has hearing loss, but not totally deaf.

As for determining mental capacity, I disagree that we are unqualified to determine a person’s mental capacity — maybe not from a medical doctor’s diagnosis, but we can determine if a person knows and understands and not being coerced into doing something. Send the family and friend out of the room and carry on a conversation with the person for 10-15 minutes. Ask questions and allow them to ask you questions. After a few minutes, repeat a question you’ve already asked and see if you get same response. Observe for confusion in their face and body language. Talk about docs they are going to sign and confirm that they understand what they will be signing, and if they are signing freely and willingly on their own. Good luck. Treat and respect them as you do any other signer.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 I was just notified that an up-coming appointment is with - SC/CA on 5/18/19 1:13pm
 Re: I was just notified that an up-coming appointment is with - Ken/NoCal on 5/18/19 2:29pm
 The increased TIME this reading aloud will take! - Lee/AR on 5/18/19 2:46pm
 Unless we NSAs are certified/trained/licensed/whatever ... - BearPaw/CO on 5/18/19 3:28pm
 Re: Illiterate, blind, and deaf - Carolyn Bodley on 5/18/19 4:56pm
 Re: Furthermore, illiteracy, blindness or deafness - Carolyn Bodley on 5/18/19 5:41pm
 Re: Illiterate, blind, and deaf - SC/CA on 5/18/19 6:05pm
 Re: Illiterate, blind, and deaf - Carolyn Bodley on 5/18/19 6:47pm
 Re: Illiterate, blind, and deaf - BearPaw/CO on 5/18/19 7:47pm
 Re: Illiterate, blind, and deaf - Carolyn Bodley on 5/18/19 8:48pm
 Geez - BearPaw/CO on 5/18/19 9:11pm
 Re: Geez - Carolyn Bodley on 5/18/19 9:53pm
 In an attempt to research some guidelines ... - BearPaw/CO on 5/18/19 8:48pm
 Re: In an attempt to research some guidelines ... - Carolyn Bodley on 5/18/19 9:41pm
 Be rude if needed... - Signerbill on 5/19/19 9:57am
 Re: I was just notified that an up-coming appointment is with - Art_FL on 5/20/19 8:49am
 I love general notary work, but very discerning about -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/20/19 11:23am
 Re: I love general notary work, but very discerning about -  VT_Syrup on 5/20/19 11:56am
 Re: I was just notified that an up-coming appointment is with - NVLSlady/VA on 5/20/19 11:59am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.