Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Long 3 hour+ signings & fees
Posted by SanDiegoStar of CA on 5/20/19 3:42pm Msg #606577
How does one handle unexpectedly long signings?

I always do my due diligence and confirm details with signers prior to the appointment such as making sure they truly have proper ID with matching names so we don’t waste each other’s time. But what happens if special circumstances are either not disclosed or you have a “surprise” disabled/hostile signer?

About once or twice a year I will be completely blindsighted by challengning signings. Of course, if I am aware of any special circumstances or accommodations requested up front I can properly plan but I’m curious what those of you do in the “surprise” situations.

For example, I recently showed up to a signing where the husband was disabled (Parkinson’s, etc) and the wife was very anxious/hostile. No problem, I’m a seasoned notary and will absolutely do my best to complete the signing. However, an hour into the signing they were still signing escrow docs and I knew I wasn’t going to make my next scheduled appointment after them. Wife wanted to complain about her “rushed” experience with the loan officer and kept asking for what would be considered advice I am not permitted to dispense in my state. Reiterated this point several times with her and kept referring her to contact her loan officer. She really just wanted to have her concerns/vents heard.

My go-to line in this scenario is “I am happy to allow you additional time to discuss your concerned in detail with your loan officer however we will need to reschedule this signing appointment as I do have other clients scheduled and ready to sign documents.”

Eventually, I did contact my other signers and explained some of the circumstances and they were kind enough to reschedule for a later time that day.

What should be a 1-1.5hr signing turned into 3 hours.

My question is this: my time is very valuable. Is it right to ask for an additional fee (say, hourly fee) when a signing drags on like this? What if it’s due to a disabled signer (someone who physically must sign slow)? I want to be careful by not discriminating against any disabled parties but I also need to be fairly compensated for my time.

What would you do?
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Long 3 hour+ signings & fees - SanDiegoStar on 5/20/19 3:42pm
 Re: Long 3 hour+ signings & fees - Luckydog on 5/20/19 4:20pm
 Curious what expectation you left - NVLSlady/VA on 5/20/19 8:28pm
 one of my longer ones was...."just show up"... - notarydi/CA on 5/21/19 10:56pm
 Re: one of my longer ones was.... okay then... 9 signers - NVLSlady/VA on 5/22/19 10:37am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.