Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

As if we don't enough to worry about ....
Posted by BearPaw/CO of CO on 7/5/19 9:40pm Msg #608194
LD wrote in Peggy thread: <<I personally feel she needs an attorney and not feel sorry for the people not cleaning their house when guests come over. >>

I've never considered us "guests" anymore than the cable guy or the plumber are. We're there to do a job and get out. We're not the in-laws visiting for the week. BUT it reminds me of a situation similar to Peggy's disaster. Some time ago, I knew a notary who was injured through homeowner negligence. (piece of junk make-shift chair collapsed.) Homeowner tried to get out of paying, saying he did not "invite" the notary but was "told by the bank" that a notary would come to their house; so he thought the bank should be responsible. Think about that. It's easy enough for some LO sipping mai-tais under a palm tree in Miami, waiting for his big fat commission, to roll out the red carpet, telling borrowers that Little Miss Notary will be at their home at their convenience so they don't even have to lift a finger except to sign ... blah blah. Lenders, TCs, LOs, SSs have no regard for our safety out in the field and the landmines we face every day when going to people's homes (crap on floors, growling dogs, misbehaving homeowners, skateboards on the front porch, no outdoor lights, ice on the driveway). So since we are not "invited" but our appearance is presented to borrowers as part of an all-inclusive package deal, just how "liable/unliable" are homeowners and how "liable/unliable" are the parties who sent us? And how "liable/unliable" are we for our own safety?

Honestly, this is one of the reasons why during confo call, I always ask: Do you want me to come to your home or meet somewhere else (with a suggestion of nearby coffee place etc).?

So maybe we *are* "guests" and like good guests shouldn't go unless "invited." Scary thought. In any case, Peggy definitely needs to go after the homeowner's insurance to cover her medical expenses and any lost notary fees. And I hope she feels better ASAP!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 As if we don't enough to worry about .... - BearPaw/CO on 7/5/19 9:40pm
 Yes, Notaries, Plumbers & the Cable Guy are guests - LisaKT/CA on 7/5/19 10:56pm
 Thanks Lisa. I also view us as "guests". I'm not a sue -  MW/VA on 7/6/19 9:11am
 I also wonder how the hiring parties (tc, etc.) would -  MW/VA on 7/6/19 9:12am
 Re: Unfortunately, the world has become a “sue” society - Carolyn Bodley on 7/6/19 10:08am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.