Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: AL - new wedding "license" law requires notarization
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 8/27/19 10:46am Msg #609671
We all know that, on account of the 1st amendment to the US Constitution, people have a right to affirm a statement rather than swear to a statement under oath. But in this case, everyone who want's to be married in Alabama has to affirm; I wonder of that violates the religious freedom of those who would prefer to take an oath.

This also raises the question of where the marriage occurs. When a state requires a ceremony, both spouses must usually appear at the same time and place as the officiant; the location where the three of them get together determines which jurisdiction issues the license, original certificate, and certified copies of the certificate. So a groom from Mexico and a bride from Oregon go to the Alabama town where the bride's parents live and get married in a church. Then they hop on a plane and fly to Vermont for their honeymoon. They call me and ask me to notarize the certificate.

So I look it over and decide it's a verification on affirmation. The wording is not correct for Vermont, so I run the page through my printer and add a Vermont short form certificate to the bottom of the page, and sign and seal the short form certificate. The couple sends it certified mail back to the probate judge in Alabama. I wonder how that will go over?
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 AL - new wedding "license" law requires notarization -  Linda_TN on 8/27/19 7:58am
 Re: AL - new wedding "license" law requires notarization -  VT_Syrup on 8/27/19 10:46am
 You hit the nail on the head - FlaNotary2 on 8/27/19 1:29pm
 Re: You hit the nail on the head -  VT_Syrup on 8/27/19 1:33pm
 Re: You hit the nail on the head - FlaNotary2 on 8/27/19 1:37pm
 Some of the questions you've raised here... - Michelle/AL on 8/28/19 10:12am
 Thank you for keeping us informed! -  Ernest__CT on 8/28/19 9:09pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.