Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Feds cutting rates effects on a mortgage
Posted by Clem/CA of CA on 9/19/19 9:19am Msg #610312
Mortgages
A rate cut can prove beneficial with home financing, but the impact depends on what type of mortgage the consumer has, whether fixed or adjustable and which rate the mortgage is linked to.

(To compare the advantages and disadvantages of these two types of mortgages, read "Mortgages: Fixed-Rate Versus Adjustable-Rate.")

For fixed-rate mortgages, a rate cut will have no impact on the amount of the monthly payment. Low rates can be good for potential homeowners, but fixed-rate mortgages do not move directly with the Fed's rate changes. A Fed rate cut changes the short-term lending rate, but most fixed-rate mortgages are based on long-term rates, which do not fluctuate as much as short-term rates.

Generally speaking, when the Fed issues a rate cut, adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) payments will decrease. The amount by which a mortgage payment changes will depend on the rate the mortgage uses when it resets. Many ARMs are linked to short-term Treasury yields, which tend to move with the Fed or the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR), which does not always move with the Fed. Many home-equity loans and home-equity lines of credit (HELOCs) are also linked to prime or LIBOR.

(Investopedia)
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Feds cutting rates again? -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/19/19 6:54am
 Re: Feds cutting rates again? -  Yoli/CA on 9/19/19 9:03am
 Feds cutting rates effects on a mortgage - Clem/CA on 9/19/19 9:19am
 Yes super busy... - FeliseSoCal on 9/19/19 12:04pm
 Re: Feds cutting rates again? - Susan/CA on 9/19/19 12:39pm
 You go girl...doing that Saturday after my signing day n/m -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/19/19 1:00pm
 Yep . . . Super Busy Here In Minnesota As Well -  PegiT_MN on 9/19/19 1:29pm
 Very busy here in my neck of the woods. Thought I'd be off - Eva75Eva on 9/20/19 11:19am
 Re: Feds cutting rates again? - Bravo on 9/20/19 9:58pm
 I know what you mean...makes it EZ to say NO to loser SSs -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/21/19 12:59pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.