Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

SCAM targeting notaries - this happened to me!
Posted by CopperheadTX of VA on 6/29/20 8:23am Msg #621538
This warning came out in today's NNA email about a phone scam targeting notaries.

https://tinyurl.com/yd4l3zu7

This exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago! When I posted my experience on the TX FB group, several other TX notaries said that the same thing had happened to them. I'll copy and paste my post here:

Something really bizarre happened to me last Sunday. I received a call from a number with caller ID “Municipal Law Enforcement” out of Plano. While I don’t service Plano, it’s a little less than an hour’s drive from where I live. When answering, I figured it was someone who worked there but lives near me and needed to set up a GNW appointment. When I answered, the caller was male with a very monotone, all-business matter-of-fact voice. He asked for me by name and I said yes this is Linda. He then went on to say that I was scheduled to testify on May 18th as an expert witness in a civil matter in Plano and I did not show up, and would I please tell him my reasons for not showing? I’m thinking to myself, “what the heck?” Of course I would have known if I had been asked to appear to testify in a legal proceeding, and I had not. Additionally, I never notarize in Plano so I knew it couldn’t be related to any of my notary work.

I quickly determined that this was a scam and the next thing out of his mouth was going to be that a warrant has been issued for my arrest and if I would simply pay the court fees right now over the phone then he could clear up this matter for me. And come on, it was SUNDAY. Unfortunately, I did not have the presence of mind to play along and find out what he really wanted because I told him something like “Yeah, right. Goodbye.” And I hung up on him. Afterward, I googled the number (972)292-6010 and it does indeed belong to the Plano Police Dept! All I can figure is that the number was spoofed. Be careful out there!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 SCAM targeting notaries - this happened to me! - CopperheadTX on 6/29/20 8:23am
 Happened to me as well! It was the Tustin PD - ananotary on 6/29/20 9:24am
 me too, Eugene Sheriffs. Best not to engage, never say yes! -  sigtogo/OR on 6/29/20 11:04am
 Re: me too, Eugene Sheriffs. Best not to engage, never say yes! -  JanetK_CA on 6/29/20 1:47pm
 OMG . . . This Totally Happened To Me As Well. - PegiT_MN on 6/30/20 7:36am
 Re: me too, Eugene Sheriffs. Best not to engage, never say yes! -  MarianneT/CO on 7/1/20 5:23pm
 My mother, may she rest in peace, had a shrill whistle -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/29/20 2:32pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.