Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Well Oregon has gone to RON
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 7/2/20 11:25am Msg #621642
You might want to go over the new law with a magnifying glass. It might turn out that you are RON certified right now, even though you don't know it. Or perhaps you just have to send in a notice that you intend to perform *any kind* of electronic notarization.

Imagine I was an Oregon notary, I got a key pair and X-509 certificate from one of the companies like IdenTrust, and I sent a notice to the Oregon SOS saying I was going to perform electronic notarizations, and my technology was the IdenTrust key pair combined with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Acrobat.

Then I get a request from someone personally known to me, requesting an online notarization. Since I know the person, I don't have to worry about all that identity proofing or knowledge-based authentication. So I just fire up Microsoft Teams, turn on the recording, and get it done.

I'm not sure if that's allowed; I'm just saying read the law with that thought in the back of your mind.

It's not abstract to me; next week I'm running a meeting to nominate candidates for the November election. Some will participate by Zoom. Probably, everyone at the meeting will be personally known to me. At the end, we have to summarize the results on a form, the chair and secretary have to swear or affirm the form is accurate, and it has to be filed with the town clerk. It would be nice if we could get it notarized virtually, but everyone who is a notary is going to be either a candidate or signing the form, so it would be a conflict of interest for any of us to do the notarization.

Vermont doesn't currently allow RON, but we allow what's being called RIN: remote ink notarization.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Well Oregon has gone to RON -  OR on 7/1/20 6:10pm
 Re: Well Oregon has gone to RON -  VT_Syrup on 7/1/20 6:23pm
 apparently tentative only legal through 7/2021. interesting! n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 7/1/20 6:24pm
 Re: Well Oregon has gone to RON - Karen Trost on 7/1/20 11:11pm
 Re: Well Oregon has gone to RON -  VT_Syrup on 7/2/20 11:25am
 Re: Well Oregon has gone to RON -  Doris_CO on 7/2/20 4:08pm
 Karen, did you get SOS email? its all there with links n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 7/2/20 9:13pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.