Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Notary Services suspended because of COVID
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 10/12/20 4:49pm Msg #625341
I've been doing my appointments outside. With very few exceptions, most people have been very accommodating and are usually grateful. Sometimes, though, it's not very comfortable. In addition to dripping from the heat a few times, I've done signings leaning over the bed of an SUV in a garage (killed my back); at night, on a little porch by the light of cell phone flashlights; and this past weekend, while sitting on the floor of a garage converted to a kiddie play room - because the kid's little table was the only writing surface they had. [Fortunately, they left for a few minutes while I double checked the documents, so they weren't there to see me very slowly getting up from the floor and trying to get circulation back into my legs and hips... Wink]

As for fingerprints, yes, it means leaning in for a second, but I believe the viral load we're exposed to in that short a period of time is pretty minor if all are wearing a face covering. Exposure over time increases the risk. Being in open air reduces the risk. My journal, however, stays within my 'exclusive control' at all times, though, as required by CA notary law.

The one exception (to being outdoors, not to journal control) was recently for a repeat attorney client to sign some pre-nups, in what I was told was a new office with a larger conference room. [It was the same one we've always met in; fairly large, allowing some empty chairs between us, but still an enclosed space.] While I was notarizing away, a couple of folks in the room mentioned that they'd already had Covid-19! Grrrr At least they were all wearing masks... [I found out later, at least one of them was a B or C grade celebrity, so they were being pandered to.] I couldn't get out of there fast enough, but at least I left with a pretty healthy check for just a few minutes of work... Wink

I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do when weather starts getting colder and even rainy, especially as we enter flu season, and especially if the rate of spread of Covid-19 continues to increase, as many health professionals are predicting. I may play it a day at a time, if possible, since our weather tends to be relatively mild.

I think we have to stay on top of the current situation and the latest developments locally and otherwise, and make judgments as appropriate to our own circumstances.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Notary Services suspended because of COVID - Jules on 10/12/20 3:09pm
 Not that it affects you as I'm not in CA but I have - Linda_H/FL on 10/12/20 3:14pm
 Re: Not that it affects you as I - Luckydog on 10/12/20 5:32pm
 Re: Notary Services suspended because of COVID -  JanetK_CA on 10/12/20 4:49pm
 fingerprints? - CST on 10/12/20 6:10pm
 yes, fingerprints... - Kellosh/CA on 10/13/20 11:42am
 Re: yes, fingerprints... -  JanetK_CA on 10/13/20 7:48pm
 Re: yes, fingerprints... - CST on 10/13/20 8:29pm
 Re: Notary Services suspended because of COVID - SteveS/CA on 10/12/20 6:14pm
 Re: Notary Services suspended because of COVID - Jules on 10/12/20 7:57pm
 Re: Notary Services suspended because of COVID -  Joe Ewing on 10/13/20 4:52pm
 Re: Notary Services suspended because of COVID - pdl/cali on 10/13/20 11:14pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.