Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Quick Note to all the new notaries who've posted recently
Posted by Linda_H/FL of FL on 10/26/20 8:53am Msg #625748
I ran across something on another site and wanted to pass some info along to all of you - for your own protection

When filling out a W-9 to work with companies (and get paid) NEVER NEVER NEVER give them your own personal social security number. Before you get going, go to irs.gov and PLEASE PLEASE get yourself an EIN - and give all hiring parties that federal number to report what they pay you. IRS will connect your SSN with your EIN so you'll report the income with your tax return using your EIN on the Schedule C.

I can't believe I'm still reading suggestions from notaries telling others to "just use your SSN" - NO!!! It's identity theft looking to happen. Protect yourself and get an EIN.

Off the soapbox now.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Quick Note to all the new notaries who've posted recently - Linda_H/FL on 10/26/20 8:53am
 Re: Quick Note to all the new notaries who -  Ilene C. Seidel on 10/26/20 9:31am
 Re: Quick Note to all the new notaries who - Luckydog on 10/26/20 10:08am
 EIN- privacy And opening business bank account. - NVLSlady/VA on 10/26/20 11:13am
 Re: Excellent info from Linda-a must read & do for newbie's! n/m - LJCA on 10/26/20 1:06pm
 Good advice! - FeliseSoCal on 10/27/20 5:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.