Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Security, Access, and Preservation of Notarial Records
Posted by ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas of CO on 11/24/22 7:28pm Msg #643474
For paper records, notaries should use journals with acid-free paper and pens with acid-free ink. Using archival grade supplies prevents deterioration of paper records over many years. Paper journals should be stored in a secure controlled environment to prevent damage or loss from theft, fire, flood, mold, mildew, insects, rodents, etc. I use a Sentry fireproof waterproof safe.

For electronic records, journals, and audio-video recordings, notaries must follow state laws and rules and industry best practices. Notary laws do not anticipate or describe every possible scenario. There is a common law duty to exercise reasonable care to prevent harm or loss to others.

Courts have used the NNA Model Notary Act as a guidebook of industry best practices. It contains information on proper security, access, and preservation of paper and electronic notarial records, including delegation to third-party repositories.

For local digital storage, I use Samsung FIT+ metal body USB flash drives. They have a 5-year warranty and are waterproof, shock-proof, temperature-proof, magnet-proof, and X-ray-proof (within specifications). A new high-quality flash drive used only for archiving files will likely last 10 years. A large capacity drive may be used to store 2 copies of each file for redundancy.

Free VeraCrypt software may be used to store files in an encrypted "container" to prevent unauthorized access and tampering.

I use free software ExactFile to calculate and store a hash value for each file stored. At least once a year, I run ExactFile to do a quick file integrity check that compares the expected hash value with the current hash value for each file. It finds and reports any data errors. I can replace a bad file with a known good copy from another local or remote backup copy.

This is known as an active archive, where files are verified periodically for data integrity, versus a passive archive where files are not checked and rely on hope for data preservation. Hope is not a strategy.

Notaries are public officials keeping government authorized records. Notarial records are important in serving the public and may be needed as evidence in a dispute, procedure, or court case. I also reviewed the paper and electronic recordkeeping rules followed by our state archives and courts for best practices.

States are beginning to pass new laws and court rules that accept blockchain records as legal evidence. File hash values can be recorded on a blockchain as immutable evidence of a file's existence, provenance, and content digest. If a notary gives a copy of a file to a customer the hash value verifies it is a duplicate of the same file, without corruption or tampering.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Reminder of long-term storage of digital files - VT_Syrup on 11/23/22 1:45pm
 Re: Reminder of long-term storage of digital files -  Yoli/CA on 11/23/22 4:09pm
 Re: Reminder of long-term storage of digital files - VT_Syrup on 11/23/22 4:46pm
 Re: Reminder of long-term storage of digital files - Lee/AR on 11/23/22 4:10pm
 Format/storage change - Art_MD on 11/24/22 7:50am
 Security, Access, and Preservation of Notarial Records - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 11/24/22 7:28pm
 As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - FlaNotary2 on 11/26/22 9:12am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done -  Yoli/CA on 11/26/22 10:44am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - PaigeTurner on 11/27/22 11:23am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - VT_Syrup on 11/28/22 9:12am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - PaigeTurner on 11/28/22 2:38pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.