Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

No, I'm right. You really should study some history...
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 1/18/20 5:46pm Msg #73112
And maybe read the Constitution once in a while. I keep a copy on my desk for reference.

"Ties are decided by the President of the Senate -Mike Pence."

When he's presiding. But he won't be presiding over the trial John Roberts will. But you would know that if you read the Constitution.

Article 1, Section 3: "When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside..."

Mike Pence won't even be in the room during the trial. The Framers wanted to avoid a conflict of interest, so they removed the VP in cases of a Presidential impeachment. Justice Salmon Chase cast the tie-breaking vote on procedural issues twice in Andrew Johnson's impeachment trial, which sets a precedent.

Look, I have studied American History extensively. It was my minor in college. I know the Constitution, I know the back story to it and the justification for it (the Federalist Papers), I know where to go for answers to questions I'm not sure about. I'm a certified paralegal and know how to read and research case law. Do not come at me and tell me I'm wrong about these things unless you are ready to back it up with citations to prove your point.

"GET OVER IT, THE PEOPLE CHOSE TRUMP."

Why are you shouting?

The people didn't choose Trump - the Electoral College chose Trump. The people - as in the majority of those who voted - chose Clinton, but that choice doesn't count because we don't have a direct election for President. And as much as I didn't like the result, I accepted it because - as flawed as it is - that's the system we live under.

Based on what I knew about Donald Trump, having had a front-row seat to his behavior for about 40 years, what I was afraid would happen is exactly what happened. A leopard - especially one that is 70+ years old - does not suddenly change its spots. Trump was always known in NY as a con artist and a grifter. This "stable genius" has been involved in over 3500 lawsuits and has taken 6 companies into bankruptcy. This is who you elected as President.

This is not about undoing that election, this is about holding the duly elected President accountable for the things he has been doing. And as each day goes by, we're seeing more and more evidence being developed to show that he is behaving now as he was behaving back then in NY - as if the laws don't apply to him.

Answer a simple question: If he's innocent, why won't he allow the evidence and the witnesses that will exonerate him be heard?
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 impeachment rules - Art_MD on 1/17/20 6:26am
 Re: impeachment rules - Luckydog on 1/17/20 7:59am
 Re: impeachment rules - HisHughness on 1/17/20 12:29pm
 Re: impeachment rules - bagger on 1/17/20 3:59pm
 Re: impeachment rules - MikeC/TX on 1/17/20 6:02pm
 Wrong once again - bagger on 1/18/20 10:14am
 No, I'm right. You really should study some history... - MikeC/TX on 1/18/20 5:46pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.