Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: More about cord-cutting
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 7/28/19 5:11pm Msg #31295
Just today I started trying out a combination of YouTube TV and another smaller streaming service called Philo. Between the two of them, I am getting all the channels I would typically watch with very little overlap. I am also able to stream the local networks that I was getting OTA including the local ABC affiliate I was unable to get OTA. Added benefit - both offer unlimited recording free, where Sling charges for DVR and inserts its own commercials.

Youtube TV retains recordings for 9 months; Philo retains them for 30 days. Since recording is unlimited, neither allows you to record individual episodes or manage your recordings - you choose the show you want to record, and they both dump every episode they have into your library and schedule all upcoming episodes. I thought that would be a mess, but they flag the ones that were recently recorded and the rest are relegated to an archive, so you don't have to wade through stuff you've already seen.

I looked at YouTube TV a while back based on a recommendation someone made here, but it didn't carry some of the channels I watch on a regular basis. I revisited it when I discovered what Sling was doing with their DVR, and then found out about Philo which carries the channels I would be missing. Both have a 7-day free trial which I just started today, so I have some time to put them through the paces and decide what to do.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 More about cord-cutting - MikeC/TX on 7/25/19 6:23pm
 Re: More about cord-cutting - Luckydog on 7/28/19 11:25am
 Re: More about cord-cutting - MikeC/TX on 7/28/19 5:11pm
 Re: More about cord-cutting - Luckydog on 7/29/19 3:01pm
 It gets really complicated & that's why I haven't -  MW/VA on 7/30/19 9:29am
 Re: It gets really complicated & that - MikeC/TX on 7/30/19 7:22pm
 Re: More about cord-cutting - MikeC/TX on 7/30/19 6:54pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.