Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: WiFi Connectivity
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 5/8/20 6:42pm Msg #31993
I don't have FIOS, but I suspect I know what's going on. A hidden network doesn't broadcast its SSID, so your PC can't see it when it's searching for networks to connect to (that's the list you see on your home page). Every network can do this - there's an option on the router that allows you to turn off the "beacon", which is what broadcasts the SSID.

But the network can still be detected by the Mother Ship (FIOS) if the network is on their system, which I believe is why you're seeing the discrepancy - "Manage Networks" is the list of networks FIOS knows about in your area, while your home page is only showing you the networks your PC can actually see.

It's possible to connect to a hidden network as long as you have the SSID and the correct password, but they're probably hidden for a reason.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 WiFi Connectivity - NVLSlady/VA on 5/7/20 4:00pm
 Re: WiFi Connectivity - MikeC/TX on 5/8/20 6:42pm
 Re: WiFi Connectivity - NVLSlady/VA on 5/8/20 9:36pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.