Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Do you like oysters? They're about to get a lot bigger
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 5/25/20 6:44pm Msg #32033
I'm originally from Long Island, NY - between the Great South Bay and the Long Island Sound, we had a never-ending supply of fresh seafood like lobster, clams, crabs, and oysters. And when I say fresh, I mean you could buy it an hour or so after it came out of the water. Here in TX, when things like oysters are available, they've been packed in ice and shipped cross-country.

Oysters are actually grown on farms in the waters off Long Island - the farmers cultivate them, harvest them, and seed for the next season. COVID-19 has shut down a lot of restaurants and reduced the demand for oysters. The farmers can leave their oysters in the water, but then they continue to grow - and diners have become accustomed to the little cup-shaped oyster shells. Imagine an oyster as big as your hand:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/want-help-save-oyster-industry-eat-bigger-ones-some-farmers-n1212436

Oh, and although I lived on Long Island for 60 years and have attended oyster festivals there, I have no idea how to shuck an oyster and would probably injure myself trying to do so.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Do you like oysters? They're about to get a lot bigger - MikeC/TX on 5/25/20 6:44pm
 LOVE LOVE OYSTERS hailing from Seattle -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/26/20 10:14am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.