Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 9/16/20 12:46pm Msg #32270
"Interesting but I'd also have to install all the outlets as well for another couple hundred bucks and then pay for the box each room besides to get the 10 channels plus local."

Not quite. I think you misunderstand streaming cable like Spectrum's vs hard-wire cable. There are no cable boxes to rent, no ugly cable outlets to install in your house. It's cable TV without physical cables or rented cable boxes. You stream direct from your router to any number of Roku (or similar) boxes or any number of smart TVs. You are not limited to 4 as with Sling. You may stream to as many TV's that have a 'smart' connection.

We used a regular good router doing the exact same thing for a long time. No extra cable boxes, no router extensions, and not limited to 4 TV's. You can do the same thing with any router 'system': start small and add to it later.

The problem I experienced with an older but 'good' router was occasional buffering and occasional signal drops that drove us nuts. Everyone should recognize that when you start streaming (minus physical cables), 'instant on' no longer exists. You have to turn on the app source and bounce around and if the router overheats or is stressed to max sometimes the router needs rebooting. You get used to it, but still...

Basically, dump your old router.

A good, solid router will work, instead of a router system, as described above.

Things to consider: When running Bluetooth devices, scanners, printers (more than one), laptops, tablets, TV's, all at once you're likely to max out your router on occasion no matter what. If you can live with it, no big.

When I upgraded to an expensive work laptop, I decided to purchase an expensive router to keep up with everything. I purchased this one at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-5-router-black/9054017.p?skuId=9054017&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=192&ref=212&loc=DWA&gclid=COSzvvmY7usCFYeHfgodzjoLGQ&gclsrc=ds

Just by appearance, it looks like it would light up the whole house and then some. It probably would have and I would recommend something similar at the very least. I never got to try it out. It was my first choice before I changed my mind and went to the eero mesh. 90 days had passed and I couldn't return it. Never took it out of the plastic wrapped box and ended up trading it away after holding on to it as a backup for over a year.

The Spectrum ala cart has no contract and may be cancelled if you don't like it. I was surprised that it had more channels (before the 10) then I expected.

If you decide on Sling, let us know how that goes.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Need some advice on Sling TV - Luckydog on 9/15/20 8:39pm
 MikeC/TX posted here about various services.. - Linda_H/FL on 9/16/20 7:40am
 Re: MikeC/TX posted here about various services.. - Luckydog on 9/16/20 8:03am
 comparisons - Luckydog on 9/16/20 8:12am
 Re: comparisons - MikeC/TX on 9/16/20 6:04pm
 Congrats to you on reaching your goal of buying a house! ;-) n/m -  MW/VA on 9/16/20 8:51am
 Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters - Bear900/CA on 9/16/20 11:50am
 And yes, congratulations on the house! n/m - Bear900/CA on 9/16/20 11:51am
 Thanks and thanks! - Luckydog on 9/16/20 12:11pm
 Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters - Luckydog on 9/16/20 12:06pm
 Do you get Verizon Fios in your area? Their Modem makes -  MW/VA on 9/16/20 12:16pm
 Re: Do you get Verizon Fios in your area? Their Modem makes - Luckydog on 9/16/20 3:40pm
 Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters - Bear900/CA on 9/16/20 12:46pm
 Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters - Luckydog on 9/16/20 3:51pm
 Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters -  Amigoaz on 9/16/20 9:27pm
 Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters - Bear900/CA on 9/17/20 1:19am
 Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters - Luckydog on 9/18/20 7:59am
 Re: Spectrum TV Choice review: A la carte TV for cord-cutters -  Amigoaz on 9/18/20 8:32am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.