Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Impossible burgers vs veggie burgers
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 7/9/21 6:10pm Msg #33212
"If you are a vegan or vegetarian, I don't think you really want it to taste like meat anyway, would you? Idk."

Good point. - OR, a person (moi) avoids it solely for health reasons. That can be said of a lot of things: sugar, dairy, eggs, etc., depending on what you're trying to achieve or lower risk of, i.e, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc., - OR - trying to build and improve, i.e., immune system, strength, health, etc.

When you're young it's likely a fad. When you're older, it's more than likely for health reasons. When you're deathly ill, it's necessity if you so choose.

Or people do it for environmental reasons, or just their feelings about animals. My sister has been a vegetarian for many years because she has an ultra-soft spot for animals (drives me nuts to the degree) but that doesn't make her any healthier if she hits hard on bad carbs.

It's extremely hard eating vegetarian. Unless you have a healthy garden it may also be expensive to get organic foods.

I still like the taste of beef and not being ultra-rigid we will occasionally eat it. We found out quickly our stomachs know when we cheat.

My wife suffered from extremely painful diverticulitis, as do other female members in her family. Her sister came close to dying and spent a long time in the hospital. I feel when that happens, it's time to think about changing the way we eat. When she has just a cup of my green smoothies her stomach feels great. Any sugar, chocolate, nuts or meat and I see her in pain. Still, it was very difficult weaning her away from meat, just as it would be for many here. It took a lot of steady, and subtle effort on my end to win her over. Now she sees the benefit and is all systems go.

Me? My dad and both his parents died of cancer around 80ish. My brother died of cancer at 70 (I'm six months away). My other sister had a full mastectomy at around 50. I just made up my mind after my dad died 14 years ago, that I wasn't going the same way.

Sure, something will be the end of us someday, maybe, but why encourage it when you can at least try to prevent it and feel much better at the same time? I don't feel deprived in any way. I feel I've physically over-worked my body in many ways and paid the consequences. It's time to heal.

Backtrack two years, just before Covid, my wife's wonderful aunts and uncles (who LOVE meat) all chided me for eating vegetarian. Her aunt even went so far as saying she would rather enjoy eating meat even if it cut her life shorter. These past two years we have seen them go through all sorts of health issues and being miserable.

Still, we can't convince them, so we just enjoy them...while we have them. Wonderful people!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - MikeC/TX on 7/6/21 6:59pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - Bear900/CA on 7/6/21 11:47pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - SC/CA on 7/7/21 2:49pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - Bear900/CA on 7/7/21 6:23pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - SC/CA on 7/7/21 7:38pm
 Thank you SC/CA! - Bear900/CA on 7/8/21 12:35pm
 Impossible burgers vs veggie burgers - Luckydog on 7/9/21 10:03am
 Re: Impossible burgers vs veggie burgers - Bear900/CA on 7/9/21 6:10pm
 Re: Impossible burgers vs veggie burgers - SC/CA on 7/10/21 12:56pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - MikeC/TX on 7/7/21 11:49pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - ML/PA on 7/7/21 1:05pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - Bear900/CA on 7/7/21 2:24pm
 I've eaten many types of vegi burgers. I once ordered one -  MW/VA on 7/7/21 4:00pm
 Re: Give me a Buffalo Burger, please n/m - Carolyn Bodley on 7/7/21 7:40pm
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - Cheryl Elliott on 7/8/21 9:04am
 Re: Has anyone else tried "alternative meat"? - SC/CA on 7/8/21 10:42am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.