Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Same here. There must be some major bugs with those
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 9/23/21 11:00am Msg #33491
I never have update issues but use a laptop that came with W10 already installed. I still run W8 pre-installed on another laptop and never any issues there either.

Whether or not you're dealing with older hardware you may have some maintenance issues. We all have our go-to AV software. In case you're interested I run Webroot which updates and scans quickly. I have stuck with the free version of Super-antispyware for many years and it still picks up stuff after all my other cleaning. I don't go with free anything else (AVG, etc.) as they leave traces behind. Your most important work tool (computer) is worth paying for a good AV.

I frequently clean history on all my browsers, Google, Edge and IE. Then at the bottom left window where you can type (in W10), I type 'cookies' and it brings up a similar box to IE's Internet Tools drop down. Click on Data files and clear those and delete history. Probably an overkill but I have never had computer problems.

Then in the same box I type disk clean and clean the disk. That goes fast if you have a semiconductor drive. Finally, I run Super-antispyware.

I download a lot of files from customers, title companies, appraisers, and lenders with no issues. I live worry free there.

Cable internet has it's own protection and I subscribe to another service for my eero router system.

I was cautious about bios updates but since my laptop came installed with W10 I accept all updates required or additional. Webroot will indicate unsafe websites and I never click on those or unexpected email links.

I have cleaned up a number of computers for others using these simple steps. One of the biggest mistakes people make is getting the message that they have an error along with a freeze screen and they will click the help message which downloads trojans. Just do a Ctrl, ALT, delete, and start over. Always good to go thru the above steps if you get that message.

It seems like computers are becoming just hubs and we must subscribe to everything and store data in the cloud. I stay away from the latter when possible but know people who have good success using cloud storage too. I use the basic paid version of Dropbox to store important files. Subscribe, subscribe, subscribe... all we do anymore!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 What do you think of Windows 11? - Bear900/CA on 9/22/21 11:06am
 fixed link - Bear900/CA on 9/22/21 11:06am
 Re: fixed link - Luckydog on 9/23/21 9:40am
 Ironically, I was just thinking about that. I'm having all -  MW/VA on 9/22/21 3:50pm
 That's odd - I've been having issues with my laptop lately - Linda_H/FL on 9/22/21 6:30pm
 Same here. There must be some major bugs with those -  MW/VA on 9/22/21 7:26pm
 Re: Same here. There must be some major bugs with those - Bear900/CA on 9/23/21 11:00am
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? - Carolyn Bodley on 9/22/21 11:06pm
 I will upgrade when they offer it for free. n/m -  MW/VA on 9/23/21 8:32am
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? - Linda_H/FL on 9/23/21 9:25am
 The tech work is ever-changing. I don't resist change but -  MW/VA on 9/23/21 10:13am
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? - Carolyn Bodley on 9/23/21 10:27am
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? -  Yoli/CA on 9/23/21 2:12pm
 My Intel i7 core is not compatible . Bummer n/m - Luckydog on 9/23/21 3:13pm
 Wow. I know a while back the upgrades to 10 meant a lot -  MW/VA on 9/23/21 3:58pm
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? - MikeC/TX on 10/2/21 6:38pm
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? -  JanetK_CA on 9/23/21 5:15pm
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? - Luckydog on 9/26/21 2:01pm
 Re: What do you think of Windows 11? - MikeC/TX on 10/3/21 4:40pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.