Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this?
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 1/1/22 6:15pm Msg #34023
Planning on visiting the Dark Web? Smile

You don't need the Tor browser for privacy - a good VPN that doesn't keep logs will do the same thing without slowing you down. ISPs log your browsing history and can monetize that by selling it to advertisers. A VPN provider shouldn't be doing that, but some of them do.

The thing with Tor is that it gives you access to the Dark Web, which normal browsers cannot do, and there's all sorts of nasty stuff in that snake pit. If you're using something like Tor and just happen to stumble across somewhere you really shouldn't be, without a VPN your ISP will have a record of you accessing the first Tor server. And since the Tor Browser is partially funded by the government, that banging sound you hear at 6 AM just might be the FBI wanting to have a chat with you about your browsing habits...

So, I would not recommend using Tor, with or without a VPN - other than access to the Dark Web, it's not going to give you anything a VPN won't give you, and as the article says, it will slow down your browsing (something a good VPN won't do). If you're determined to use it anyway, you really need a VPN as well.

I definitely WOULD recommend using a reliable VPN - especially if using public wifi, but even on your home computer - because it will offer you privacy. If you don't already have a VPN I can recommend the one that I use, but whichever one you choose, make sure they have a no-logging policy - otherwise, you're defeating the purpose of using a VPN.

Aren't you glad you asked? Smile
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this? - Bear900/CA on 12/31/21 6:40pm
 Re: Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this? - MikeC/TX on 1/1/22 6:15pm
 Re: Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this? - Bear900/CA on 1/2/22 12:21am
 Re: Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this? -  JanetK_CA on 1/2/22 12:49am
 Re: Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this? - MikeC/TX on 1/2/22 11:38pm
 Re: Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this? - Bear900/CA on 1/3/22 7:47am
 Re: Tor Browser - anyone have experience with this? - MikeC/TX on 1/3/22 4:51pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.