Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 2/4/23 12:36am Msg #35656
Thank you for the compliments but I am not fully on the bandwagon, yet! I will, we will, (my wife and I) get there some day.

Funny, we had an interesting conversation about insulin intolerance this evening before I read your comments. The more we understand how to make ourselves tolerant to insulin through proper eating the more everything else falls into place. The less sickness and disease, and hopefully a longer and more fulfilling life.

Keto people know this about insulin and stay away from fruits. It may surprise you that I consume 2 to 3 pieces of fruit each day, every day. How can I possibly do that and remain insulin tolerant and keep my weight down? You will see how in a bit.

I love the topic of Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratios. If I recall, a typical ratio these days is about 6 to 1, the ratio of omega 6s to omega 3s. Ideally, we will want to get the ratios as close to each other as possible. Your argument is well-stated, that we don't make Omega 3s so we must consume them. Do we absolutely need to eat fish, olive oil, avocados, or other oils and fats to get these? Absolutely not, if you find another source, like plants. The amount of Omega 3s from plants is small admittedly. That's where the story ends with most people, then they're onto the sardines, avocados, etc. Let's look at the whole picture.

To do that, we must first understand the breakdown of omega 3s acids from ALA to EPA to DHA acids. They breakdown in that order. Plants supply a smaller amount of the initial Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), and enzymes must further break it down to EPA and DHA acids for your body.

Let's get those enzymes busy breaking down the Omega3 ALA acids then, right? The problem arises when the enzymes required to breakdown omega 3s are busy breaking down the much higher quantity of Omega 6s we intake. It gets back down to what we eat and the need to even those ratios out.

How you may go about getting those omega 3s is a personal choice. I take issue that it cannot be done plant based. It certainly can as you will see. But it's one of those myths that is perpetuated, like not getting enough protein without eating meat, eggs or dairy. Just myths.

Here is an excellent video to use for more research. Let me introduce you to Robbie, a hard core 'raw vegan'. We don't have to be that. I'm just trying to dispel a myth about being unable to obtain sufficient Omega 3s eating plant based. Robbie kills it above and beyond any other type of diet with his 6 and 3 ratios.

http://youtu.be/9XSE2K9JpOA

On the different note of fertilizers...whoaaa...wrapping my arms around this one because we are what we eat!

We need to feed plants and to do that we need to feed the soil. Everything we bring into our bodies comes from the soil, including meat in a roundabout way. At the grocery store we pick the healthiest looking vegetables. In short, they are well-fertilized with NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) same as we put on our lawns to give them a quick greening up. Typical commercial fertilizers develop NPK from petroleum by-products. Then they spray them with toxic pesticides and spray surrounding weeds with cancer causing Round-Up. We are what we eat?

That's why I keep a heap of compost out back with sufficient amounts of carbon and nitrogen from organic matter.
This produces necessary fungi and bacteria plus macro and micronutrients for the plants. I add many things including Starbucks coffee grounds, worm castings, AZOMITE (high mineral rock dust) bone meal, calcium, kelp meal, vermiculite, coconut coir and perlite among other things.

I dress or top my 5 beds without stepping in them or turning the soil. It's called 'no till' gardening. Much, much more going on but that's short and simple.

One more day closer to Summer! Smile
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Facts about Ketogenic dieting - Bear900/CA on 2/2/23 12:10pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting -  JanetK_CA on 2/3/23 9:33pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting - Bear900/CA on 2/4/23 12:36am
 Day 4 - PaigeTurner on 2/4/23 3:27pm
 Thanks for YouTube link. Great stuff! -  JanetK_CA on 2/4/23 7:54pm
 Re: Thanks for YouTube link. Great stuff! - SC/CA on 2/6/23 7:39pm
 So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - Bear900/CA on 2/7/23 10:50am
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/7/23 1:03pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - Bear900/CA on 2/7/23 3:34pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/8/23 2:54pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/8/23 4:41pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting - SC/CA on 2/4/23 4:36pm
 agree #6 But this is not a fad it's been around since 1924! - PaigeTurner on 2/5/23 3:01pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.