Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Thanks for YouTube link. Great stuff!
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 2/4/23 7:54pm Msg #35662
This is entirely consistent with all that I've read and heard (many years ago from a talk by one of the worlds leading experts on EFAs). This video reminded me of one other thing I heard then that really left an impression on me.

The guy on your video talked about how cell membranes are made up of fatty acids. What the guy I heard said is that if our diets consist of mostly trans and saturated fats (as is the case with the typical American diet, i.e. full of 'fast', processed, and fried foods - and definitely the Keto diet), the cell membrane hardens. This makes it increasingly difficult for nutrients to pass through the cell wall to get to the inner workings of the cell where they're needed. This is true for every cell in our bodies! We can imagine how much of an impact this could have on our overall health. This could be one of the reasons why the Keto diet can be harmful long term. The fat in all that bacon isn't doing anyone's body any favors... Wink

The recommended ratio of 2:1 between Omega 6 and Omega 3 stated in the video is exactly what I've heard, too. I've also heard that in the typical American diet (not talking about how you, Mrs Bear, and SC/CA are eating... Wink), the ratio is more like 20:1! I hadn't heard the explanation given for why the body has difficulty breaking down ALA into EPA and DHA, but what was said there makes lots of sense to me.

One other random tidbit I remember from that talk years ago, related to the way our food is produced, is that we used to be able to get some Omega 3 from beef, when cows were routinely grass fed. Something to do with long-chain fats found in grass vs. short chain fats found in corn and other feed for cows more commonly used these days. I guess that's what's behind the whole appeal of "grass-fed" beef. It's also one of the reasons I said it can be difficult to get enough O3's from our diet. (My comment was about average diets, not just plant-based. Also, I said it's 'difficult', not impossible, but my personal diet isn't quite yet what it should be, so I do supplement.) I very, very rarely eat red meat anymore, but I, too, usually have some fruit at least twice a day, mostly with lunch and dinner, occasionally breakfast, if I have berries on hand. Smile

Thanks for the info on the soil issue. Sounds like you have that very dialed in, too, unsurprisingly! Smile I've never heard anything about big agricultural conglomerates doing much to reconstitute the needed "fungi and bacteria" in the massive fields where most of the food available to us these days is grown. (Perhaps because they don't...) Our grocery store produce may look pretty, but that doesn't say much about its nutritional value. Pretty sobering...

Wish I could take cooking lessons from Mrs. Bear and SC/CA! (That soup sounded terrific! Smile)
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Facts about Ketogenic dieting - Bear900/CA on 2/2/23 12:10pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting -  JanetK_CA on 2/3/23 9:33pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting - Bear900/CA on 2/4/23 12:36am
 Day 4 - PaigeTurner on 2/4/23 3:27pm
 Thanks for YouTube link. Great stuff! -  JanetK_CA on 2/4/23 7:54pm
 Re: Thanks for YouTube link. Great stuff! - SC/CA on 2/6/23 7:39pm
 So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - Bear900/CA on 2/7/23 10:50am
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/7/23 1:03pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - Bear900/CA on 2/7/23 3:34pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/8/23 2:54pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/8/23 4:41pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting - SC/CA on 2/4/23 4:36pm
 agree #6 But this is not a fad it's been around since 1924! - PaigeTurner on 2/5/23 3:01pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.