Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Beware!!
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 4/16/24 4:01pm Msg #648242
Makes me wonder about the notary who was supposed to identify the signers before notarizing. In the first case, at least, perhaps the notary had some doubts, which could be why they took a picture of at least one of the signers. But why just take a pic, then proceed with the transaction? Perhaps it was just a hunch? I'd like to think I'd be contacting title, or asking for some additional form of ID, if I had doubts. [In my notary career, I've found two fake IDs. In both cases, the signing was over on the spot - without incident, BTW, since they were fully aware their ID wasn't valid.]

In the second case, it's a good thing your friend listened to her gut, as the notary apparently either made a flat out mistake or was complicit somehow. Regardless, it's a great reminder to us all to perhaps take a little more time to carefully examine IDs. I'm sure none of us would want to be the notary in a situation like either of the ones you described!

Thanks for sharing the story!

BTW, in your second example, I'm confused about one thing. You said the guy wanted the funds to be "wired to him", but how does that happen without them being deposited into a bank account, which your friend insisted on? I'm missing something there...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Beware!! - Mike Goodey on 4/15/24 10:31pm
 Re: Beware!! -  JanetK_CA on 4/16/24 4:01pm
 Appreciate the warning, but confused by details/like Janet n/m - Lee/AR on 4/16/24 5:06pm
 Re: Appreciate the warning, but confused by details/like Janet - Mike Goodey on 4/17/24 6:52pm
 Re: Beware!! -  Cheryl Elliott on 4/18/24 3:49pm
 Re: Beware!! - Mike Goodey on 4/18/24 4:05pm
 Was it a private money loan? - ananotary on 4/18/24 7:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.