Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Hidden name change by SOS
Posted by VT_Syrup of VT on 4/18/24 3:31pm Msg #648254
Because new notary rules are being developed in VT, I've been looking at exactly how notaries are required to sign their names. In VT currently it's "in the same manner as on file with the Office". So I wondered, does it mean how it is in my electronic profile on the state website where I renew my commission, or how it's written on my affirmation of office form, or on my commission certificate? It doesn't say.

The Vermont Office of Professional Regulation regulates several professions, and I have an engineering license with them. I had that from before they started regulating notaries. When I registered as a notary, I registered as Gerard Ashton so my name would fit in small spaces. It never crossed my mind how that would affect my engineering license. So I checked, and found that when I registered as a notary, they changed my name on that license to drop my middle name. I don't have any occasion to officially sign anything with that license, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I imagine a hidden change like this could really matter to some people. Imagine a CPA who had formed a license in the name John Quincy Doe, and had formed a professional corporation John Quincy Jones PC. Then he gets a notary license in the name John Jones, and his CPA license changes to match.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Hidden name change by SOS - VT_Syrup on 4/18/24 3:31pm
 Re: Hidden name change by SOS -  JanetK_CA on 4/18/24 4:02pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.