Notary Rotary
Attestation of translated copies
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by ASHOK-OREGON on 2/28/05 3:22pm
Msg #22892

I am an Oregon Notary. One of my client has a English translated copy of his Birth certificate - which he wants to get attested. Birth certificate is in HINDI Language - which is my mother tongue also - which I understand completely - I can read, write and speak. Can I legally attest the translated copy of the certificate. If they show me the Original Birth certificate in HINDI Language

Reply by fiKS on 2/28/05 6:00pm
Msg #22919

Sounds like something you need to talk to your SOS about. Generally, you can attest a document in foreign language, you don't need to speak the language. But you must be able to communicate with the person who possess the document. You cannot attest a copy of a document that has been altered (translated). I'm speaking based on information I received from my Kansas SOS. Could be a whole different ball game for OR

Reply by Nd_WA on 2/28/05 8:24pm
Msg #22937

There is a section in the OR-Notary handbook that talk about foreign language notarization.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/1/05 12:12pm
Msg #23060

If it were I, I wouldn't take any chances. I would go directly to the SoS in my state. This is too important a question to trust this (or any other) Forum. Sorry.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.