Notary Rotary
Bewildered
Notary Discussion History

Bewildered
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 2/24/05 9:45pm
Msg #22276

Bewildered

I'm still trying to figure out who left the gate at the asylum open.

Two days ago I had a call from a large signing service for whom I did my first signing a while back. This is a responsible SS and also apparently a good lender and TC. They sent me out to take the application, which I have had only one other lender do, then sent me out to sign the loan. They also met my fee.

Then I get this call. The TC or lender has insisted I go back out and get the borrower to sign the Customer Verification ID form. This is the form on which the signing agent verifies that he has inspected the ID and that it doesn't have big screaming red letters across it saying "THIS IS A FAKE ID!" Think about that for a moment: The TC/lender wants the borrower to sign a form saying he has not submitted any phony ID to himself, that the ID appears valid, and that the picture is indeed of himself.

The form with the packet is the standard form designed for financial institutions when a party opens an account. It contemplates that that the borrower will present the ID, an institution officer will inspect the ID and sign off on it, and an institution notary will notarize the document. Since I can't notarize my own signature, I did what I always do when confronted with that particular document: I sign, identify myself by my notary public title, but do not place a seal on it, thus certifying that I have inspected the ID but am neither swearing that I have nor acknowledging my own signature. Never have I had one kicked back -- and certainly never with the instruction that I go seek the borrower's signature!

My response to the SS was that I would indeed go back out, but would charge my document retrieval fee if I do so. Any insights?

Reply by Dogmonger, CA on 2/24/05 10:11pm
Msg #22289

I have NEVER stamped one of these

and never will in this state. And have never had one returned. I have had people question the lack of a stamp and always refer them to the California notary Handbook and suggest that if they can get either the SOS, the Legislature or the "Govenator to change the law, I will be happy to oblige. Perhaps EOM got to this SS or maybe brain methane....

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/24/05 11:06pm
Msg #22330

brain methane....

thank you dog

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/24/05 10:14pm
Msg #22293

Out of curiousity Hugh.... what do you charge for a simple application signing?

A company I close for a ton, has asked me if next week I can have several borrowers in the area (4 to be exact) sign an application, and the pre-approval stuff.... total of 17 pages..

I have no idea what to charge.... typically I go with the gut and think charge a full closing fee.. but wondered if others give a discount for these types of things?

Reply by Marla_NorCal on 2/25/05 4:26pm
Msg #22503

Re: Fee for simple application

I have done one, 30 days ago. I was offered $35.00, 17 pages, a few fax backs, mail hard copy to lender. Done in half hour, borrower had application filled out already. I am promised the closing ....we'll see. If that doesn't happen, I would probably not do it again for less than $50.
Marla

Reply by Liz/MD on 2/24/05 10:17pm
Msg #22296

Are you still single?

Reply by HisHughness on 2/24/05 10:48pm
Msg #22317

Liz whispers hopefully:

***Are you still single?***

Haven't been single for years. Will be shortly, though.

Do you own a liquor store?

Reply by Art_MD on 2/25/05 7:47am
Msg #22382

Re: liz/md - where are you?

I'm in queenstown. Earlier thread you said you were on eastern shore. Where? Trying to keep in contact with other notaries easwt of the bridge.

Art

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/24/05 10:19pm
Msg #22297

This is a problem.

I wish there was a uniform from that everybody used. Until then, I just take a good look at the form and try to figure out exactly what they are looking for. Sometimes I sign as "Signing Agent," cross thru the cert and attch. a copy of Fla s.s. 117.107(10). Other times, I have the borowers sign the doc (even though there is no place for them to sign) and sign as Notary and complete the cert. It realy depends on the cert. if one is on the doc.

I also keep a stash of my favorite ID forms with me and have them ready if the one in the pkg. does not comply with Florida Notary laws. (re: Notarizing my own siggy or non conforming cert)

I would send the SS a copy of the TX statute and charge accordingly for the return trip.

Hi Honey!!!
XXXOOO

Reply by HisHughness on 2/24/05 10:40pm
Msg #22313

Beccccccca oozes:

***Hi Honey!!!
XXXOOO***

Have you bought a bass boat yet?

Reply by Beca/FL on 2/24/05 10:59pm
Msg #22323

No.

Have you bought a sail boat yet????

Reply by HisHughness on 2/24/05 11:11pm
Msg #22334

Becccccca almost quivers:

***Have you bought a sail boat yet????***

No, Becccccca, but I'd be willing to unfurl almost anything for you.

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/24/05 11:13pm
Msg #22335

You Rock!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.