Notary Rotary
Birth Certificate
Notary Discussion History

Birth Certificate
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Christine b. on 2/14/05 10:45am
Msg #20565

Birth Certificate

Can someone with a copy of a birth certificate get it notorized with a seal to make it an (original) copy?

Reply by Art_MD on 2/14/05 10:56am
Msg #20568

You haven't identified your state.

In general, only the official holder of a original document can make a certified copy. In this case it could be the clerk of the court or whatever title he goes by in your state.

In most states, you can't notrize something without the correct words and a signature.

Art

Reply by Christine B. on 2/14/05 10:58am
Msg #20570

I'm in FL....

thanks!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/14/05 11:40am
Msg #20577

Since you're in FL, the answer is NO. A notary cannot notarize a copy of a birth certificate, or any other vital record or public record in the State of Florida.

Reply by Art_MD on 2/14/05 10:57am
Msg #20569

see 19175 and threads n/m

Reply by Art_MD on 2/14/05 10:58am
Msg #20571

oops - meant 19179 n/m

Reply by christine b. on 2/14/05 11:05am
Msg #20572

Re: oops - meant 19179 n/m

Thanks! those threads answered my questions.

Reply by Vicki/MD on 2/14/05 2:48pm
Msg #20591

No you cannot. At least not in MD, and unlikely so in other states.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/14/05 8:48pm
Msg #20616

As much as some people bash the National Notary Association for flooding the market with notaries public who have unreasonable expectations, the NNA does produce some worthwhile products. Their "No Can Do" booklets give plain English explanations for various things we're asked to do. Because it is a copyrighted document, I can't quote it here.

In addition to the "No Can Do" booklets, I keep a hardcopy of the CT Notary Public Manual in my briefcase so that I can point to the specific place that says I can't certify a copy, etc.

Reply by lorraine2 on 2/15/05 12:45am
Msg #20639

I work for the Florida Office of Vital Statistics, and thought I would share a few things that may be of interest to readers.

In Florida certified copies of birth records come from the State Office of Vital Statistics, 1217 Pearl Street, Jacksonville, FL 32202 - or P.O. Box 210, Jacksonville, FL 32231. Records are also available from most County Health Departments (there are 67 counties) all but a very few are on-line with the State Office in Jacksonville. You can pull the application for ordering a regular birth record (via mail) from Vital Statistics website which can be accessed via: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/planning_eval/vital_statistics/index.html. There is also a link on this site that can give you the address and contact info to the County Health Departments where you may be able to pick-up a certified Vital Record.

Birth records can also be ordered through a third party (if you wish to use a credit card-and pay a slightly higher fee) called Vital Chek.

Typically Clerks of Court will only archive marriage and divorce records, although those are available through the State Office of Vital Statistics as well. The only birth records usually available through the Clerk are Delayed Certificates of Birth filed pursuant to Florida Statute 382.0195; however, those records are not public and should only be available to certain parties (a registrant over 18 yoa, mother or father listed on birth record, or their legal representatives). Any Florida birth filed via this method should also be archived at the State Office of Vital Statistics. Though not the preferred method, the statute does allow for filing delayed births for registrant's from other states (who reside in Florida), but in such a case the court becomes the sole archiver of the record.

Another little known record filed by the State Office of Vital Statistics in Florida are Certificates of Foreign Birth for alien children (not born to US citizen's traveling abroad) who were adopted in the State of Florida (See Florida Statute 382.017.)

A birth record for a child that was born to US citizens traveling abroad are typically filed through a consulate report and is archived at the State Department (Passport Services) in Washington, DC.

Apostilled or exemplified copies of birth, death, divorce or marriage records (used by countries involved in Hague convention) are issued by the SOS, and can be ordered through the State Office of Vital Statistics in Florida. A separate check is written to both parties (VS and SOS) to cover the fees for these special type copies.

Florida requires that an eligible applicant present a copy of a valid form of ID: Drive Licnese, State Issued ID card, Military ID, or Passport. In lieu of a "copy" of the ID in question, the application for birth certificate would need to be notarized. It is OK to notarize an application for request for birth record.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.