Notary Rotary
Birth Certificate
Notary Discussion History

Birth Certificate
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Frank Dune on 2/24/05 4:49pm
Msg #22223

Birth Certificate

Can a notary notarize a copy of a birth certificate? What form is used how does this work? I am in CA

Reply by twil4/wi on 2/24/05 4:52pm
Msg #22224

no, only the vital statics department in your register of deeds can ever do that.

Reply by Frank on 2/24/05 4:55pm
Msg #22225

Thanks

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/24/05 4:55pm
Msg #22226

Certified copy must be optained at the institude holding the original birth certificate is my anderstanding.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/24/05 4:57pm
Msg #22228

State laws might differ though.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 2/24/05 4:56pm
Msg #22227

You can only notarize and APPLICATION for a birth certificate. A certified copy must come from the bureau of statistics in the state of birth.

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/24/05 9:36pm
Msg #22274

Frank,
The following is taken directly from the Notary Handbook as published by the California Secretary of State. You can download the hand book by going to the following link

http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/notary/notary_2005hdbk.pdf

CERTIFIED COPIES
California statute specifies that a notary public may only certify copies of powers of attorney under Probate Code
section 4307, and copies of his or her notary public journal. (Government Code sections 8205(a)(4) and 8205(b)(1))
Certified copies of birth, fetal death, death, and marriage records may be made only by the State Registrar, by duly
appointed and acting local registrars during their term of office, and by county recorders. (Health & Safety Code

Don't mean to sermonize or anything, but if you look at some of the posts on this board you will see the frustration that this type of question presents. Your question is something that you were tested on when you got your commission.
What I have gleaned from this forum is that there is an abundance of knowledge and help to be tapped into when it is directly related to our end service, signings. People who have been around resent the elementary questions that are the core of obtaining your commission.
This is not meant to sermonize or demean anyone, just a little food for thought.

Reply by empathetic on 2/24/05 10:11pm
Msg #22290

If you feel that this was an elementary question. Do not reply to the question. What may seem elementary to some may not to another. As for the individual who asked the question, asking something that you are not sure of is the intelligent thing to do. Don't mind those who tend to know all or forget that they are human and some information might escape oridnary human beings at times.

Reply by Donna CA on 2/24/05 10:29pm
Msg #22305

Apparently, at least in Sacramento county, as of the first of this year, the request for a birth certificate must be notarized, but I don't know if I should set up shop in the maternity ward or outside of the county recorders office

Reply by Pooh/CA on 2/25/05 12:11am
Msg #22343

Empathetic I stand right behind you and support your answer 100%. I am new to this field and I think it this forum is the appropriate place to ask any notorial question anyone has. I look to this forum for information and support and hope I can offer the same to others.

Reply by Jon on 2/25/05 11:56am
Msg #22440

My questions for all posters that ask basic notary questions.

If you go to the dentist and he says "Just a minute while I go check an online message board to see which size drill to to use for your root canal", are you still going to be sitting in the chair when he comes back??

If you go to a mechanic and he tells you "I'm going to check with a message board for mechanics to find out how where I put the oil into your car", is he now going to be your "go to" guy for all your car repair needs??

You get on a plane and the pilot makes an announcement "Please be patient, I'm checking online to find out how to start the engines", will you stay on the plane or ask for a different flight(or pilot)???

I you are in an accident and you go to a lawyer and he comments that he will "Check online to see if it is ethical to....." never mind, bad example. Smiley

My point is that we expect our Dr., mechanic, cable guy, gardener, police, fire fighters, and even fast food workers(we get mad if our "special" is wrong) to know what they are doing. Why should a notary NOT have to know what they are doing??

You can call me mean, rude, condescending, or #@*!@@#*!* I really don't care, but if you are going to be a notary LEARN your state laws.

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/25/05 12:13am
Msg #22344

Re: Birth Certificate - Wrong message sent

Guess I sent the wrong message and I don't want to appear smug or to belittle anyone. The point I wanted to make was that this should not be the first source for answers when it relates to the legal obligations or requirements of a notary. As another member has posted:

*****Dumb/stupid questions don't exist. But, lazy people do. If it's a question about a notarial act, it's reckless and lazy to assume that you can post a question here and get a definitive answer.

Our notary jobs are not like regular jobs. We answer to the law. We have precise information to draw our answers from. It's lazy and capricious not to read and interpret the rules of our commission before posting a question, and then willingly taking an answer from a notary forum without reading the rules for yourself. *********

I keep a copy of my handbook available, and I have downloaded the handbook from the SOS. Believe me I made my share of mistakes in the past, but these days are different. There are more resources available to get the information we need to do the job correctly and legally.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/25/05 1:46am
Msg #22359

Law is not a suggestion...

Thank you John.
------
To those John offended with a reference to CA notary Law:

I cannot believe my eyes at the idea that Posters should be NICE or silent to other notaries who willl not take the responsiblity to learn their own state laws **in spite of their sworn oath to uphold the same.**

It is incorrect to assume NSAs who take their jobs seriously will demurely smile while you post questions and comments that reveal your indifference. In Texas (maybe in CA, too) not learning your rules --and thereby not fulfilling ALL the duties of your notary commission (since you do not know them) is stated to be a reason for removal from office. If you do not fulfill all the duties of your office correctly it is a misdemeanor crime for the 1st offense. Thereafter it is a 3rd degree felony.

Your notary rules are not opinions or good ideas, or theory or suggestions. They are laws, and notaries are bound by their own oath to know them and put them into practice.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/25/05 2:00am
Msg #22364

Re: Law is not a suggestion...

The person or person posting the quiestions. Should definatly take the law primer with them as a referance . And definatly get a phone number to call in regards to the loan doc's. Going out there and just wingin it can get one in a lot of trouble as well as beiing extreamly iresponsible as it can not only get the notary in trouble but everyone else involved.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/25/05 2:06am
Msg #22366

Re: Law is not a suggestion...

Since I do loan signings, now, and I am doing something that could affect a person's largest investment I read my laws at least once a month or more. . . questions come to mind...even after 15 years.

I have them posted on my website and use them quite a bit.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.