Notary Rotary
Borrower Called Me For Signing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by cfloyd on 2/24/05 10:43pm
Msg #22315

I've done about 25 signings so far, since starting my NSA business 6 months ago. I did a loan document signing the other day for a borrower who was visiting my city, Kansas City, for 3 weeks on a business assignment. He found my web site when searching for a mobile notary and called me. We agreed to meet at his hotel, where I discovered he had an entire loan package that his wife back home in Texas had already signed. Her signatures had been notarized by a local Texas notary. Because the husband would not be returning home for another week, the lender had the docs sent to the him by overnight courier, telling him to find a local notary. When he received the docs, he searched the Internet and found me. I charged him according to Missouri statutes: $2.00 per signature, plus $.405 per mile and a $25 expedited service fee. The total came to $50, which he paid in cash. This was a first for me...getting the assignment and the payment directly from the borrower.

Another first for me was that his Texas driver's license was expired by just a few days, so we had to make a short drive (5 minutes) to his temporary work location, where he produced 2 credible witnesses to verify his ID.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheryl D. Floyd, Honest Notary
OfficeWise Professional Services
www.kansascitynotary.com

PS - To His Hughness: I found the phrase "honest notary" in the story of the Count of Monte Cristo, who encountered a notary who refused what he thought was an erroneous overpayment for his services. The wealty Count had, in fact, fully intended to pay the high fee right from the start, which the notary finally did accept when he realized it was not an error.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.