Certification Courses
Notary Discussion History

Certification Courses
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by John_NorCal on 2/15/05 3:52pm
Msg #20676

Certification Courses

Hi All,
While I'm not completely new to signings (used to do them when this was a relatively new svc, was a realtor and mortgage broker) I see that having a certification can be useful in most cases. My question: Is NNA the most reliable place to get this? That's what it appears like to me.
This is a great site, keep up the good work with all the support and info that is given!

Reply by Jon on 2/15/05 5:37pm
Msg #20688

IMO, certification does nothing except improve your knowledge(depending on what course you take). Since there is no standard, the certification you get from one entity may not be acceptable to all SS or companies. I have not seen one certification that has 100% correct information for CA.

With that said, I also think that the NNA is one of the worst. They routinely give out wrong notary information, and when challenged they refuse to change their position, even if clear and overwhelming proof is presented to them. They have a superficial understanding of signings at best, based on my many conversations with notaries who have taken their course.

If you are looking to get "Certified" just so you can put it on your resume, don't bother. In 8 years I have NEVER been asked if I was certified.

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/15/05 11:38pm
Msg #20732

Thanks for the info!

Reply by anonymous on 2/16/05 4:38am
Msg #20745

I find it sort sighted to state that the NNA is the worst... no one gets it right 100% of the time especially where the law is involved. What the law says and what happens in practice are two different things and not changing a position must be a result of following what is written in law as a mean s to protect the individual notary.
Signings require a superficial understanding of the loan documents themselves ESPECIALLY for the NSA. You may never have been asked if you were certified but when you volunteer that information suddenly the fee range has just increased...

Reply by Jon on 2/16/05 11:03am
Msg #20773

When you are sure enough of yourself to post a name, I will respond to your obviously uninformed comments. Smiley

Reply by still anonymous on 2/24/05 3:31am
Msg #22131

My reluctance to disclose my identity has nothing to do with a lack of confidence but more a fear of establishing any type of association to the sweeping generalization that are made based on the experience of one person and possibly your circle of aquantainces. I find it quite amusing that you would consider my thoughts uniformed... if you only knew. Everything person that I have dealt with at the NNA was realistic and honest about their limitations. If they did not know an answer then they would search until they found it. Not only that but it was made quite clear to me that the certification course was best used as a marketing tool and that I could still get work without the certification. I have had numerous positive experiences with the organization so I am trying to put some good out there instead of all this BAD!

Reply by CarmenC on 6/19/05 12:21am
Msg #45991

John, Where did you get your training? I am commissioned in Maryland and want to know the best way to get knowledge of loan signing. Thanks!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.