Notary Rotary
Changing Dates on Docs
Notary Discussion History

Changing Dates on Docs
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by wendeeCA on 2/19/05 4:38pm
Msg #21435

Changing Dates on Docs

My borrower rescheduled her signing from 2/19 to 2/21. When I relayed this information to the signing agency, I was instructed to change the dates to reflect today's date of 2/19/05, "because Monday is a holiday". Since completing the signing today (the 19th) or on the 21st (a holiday) does not affect the recission date of Thurs. the 24th, can anyone tell me the purpose for changing the dates?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/19/05 4:44pm
Msg #21436

Dont't do it!

Do not ever date documents for anything other than the actual date signed! What ever date the borrower wants to put there is her business, but you are the notary. No matter what state you are in, pre- or post-dating acknowlegements or jurats is a definite no-no!

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/19/05 4:56pm
Msg #21438

Re: Dont't do it!

Never change the date on any notarised document. What if the lender tells the borrower to put a diffrent date on documents not requiering notarization? The initial loan app for instance? Signing agency's will often tell you to do just about anything to get the signing done. BE AWARE

Reply by Gerry_VT on 2/19/05 7:54pm
Msg #21465

wendeeCA wrote "can anyone tell me the purpose for changing the dates?" Of course. Person A, who wants you to change the date, wants to make more money than if the date were not changed. This money does not appear from thin air; it is paid by person B. If person B ever find out the date was not proper, he/she/it will have every right to come to wendeeCA and demand the money from him or her.

Reply by ItsMe123 on 2/19/05 10:52pm
Msg #21480

Perhaps SS is thinking lock will expire-Do Not do

The reason the SS maybe wanting you to change the date is that they are scared to call the lender b/c they may have dealt with other loans that when signing later made a lock expire. If a lock expires the LO loses yield spread AKA cash on the back. The SS is wrong to even worry about a lock expiration since a loans are not locked until closing but rahter funding. The loan will fund the same day (seeing all funding stips are clear) regardless of wheter it is signed the 19th or the 21st. Even if the lock did expire, it is not your problem. Never backdate and that is what is being asked of you. Do not do it.

Reply by wendeeCA on 2/20/05 3:10pm
Msg #21530

Re: Perhaps SS is thinking lock will expire-Do Not do

Thank you all so much for your help. The owner of the signing agency finally called me this morning, after I sent her an e-mail, and told me that her employee had been wrong to instruct me to change the dates. I never had any intention of back dating the docs. I guess I just wanted the moral support of other notaries. I think it is always better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again for your support

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.