Notary Rotary
Copies of Their ID
Notary Discussion History

Copies of Their ID
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Mysti_FL on 2/28/05 11:01pm
Msg #22963

Copies of Their ID

Someone, in an unrelated thread, mentioned a suggestion to get copies of the borrowers' ID. I thought she or he said to take a picture of it???

Could anyone comment on how they get copies when asked by the title company or whomever to submit a copy of the borrowers' ID. I ask them when I call to confirm and get directions (sometimes a day or so early) to have a copy for me. I suppose they forget. I've sent them up without the copy and haven't been called on it, but I am sure that someone is going to become upset about it.

Thanks, Mysti

Reply by Stacy/CA on 2/28/05 11:33pm
Msg #22964

I just had this happen to me yesterday. I was assigned a signing last minute by SS. Got to title, docs not ready, had to wait 10 minutes then be at the borrowers in 30 minutes. Title had asked to get a copy of the borrowers I.D. When I got to the borrowers house, they did not have a copy of their I.D. I went ahead and did the signing anyways thinking they could fax it in the morning. When I returned the docs to title, I mentioned to them the borrower could not provide a copy of their I.D. She mentioned that the loan could not fund without it.

So today I decided to ask the SS what is expected of a notary in regards to getting a copy of the borrowers I.D. They said that since a copy of an I.D. is required to fund a loan, title does appreciate a copy to come back with the loan docs. If the borrower cannot provide on at the time of signing, they need to provide one before the close of the loan. It is not the notaries responsibility to run out a get a copy during the signing. If the borrowers does not provide the copies when asked, it is not the notaries problem.

Don't know if this helps, but this was my experience today.

Reply by fiKS on 2/28/05 11:58pm
Msg #22967

Stacy said "It is not the notaries responsibility to run out a get a copy during the signing. If the borrowers does not provide the copies when asked, it is not the notaries problem"

That's exactly right. We can only request but if they don't provide it, there's nothing we can do about it. In my [short] experience with most lenders, in lieu of photocopy of ID, you can get a second I/D for verification and sign an identity affidavit.

Some notaries carry a digital camera to take pictures of IDs if a photocopy isn't made. I've never run into a problem when copies are not obtainable, and I include a note with the package indicating why a copy is not enclosed. Perhaps behind the scenes, the lenders get the borrowers to fax it to them.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/1/05 7:35am
Msg #22995

I personally do not carry a camera or copier or scanner to signings. However, I will complete the information on the lender's/title company's AIV form. (Though many of them cannot be notarized because they are not in the proper form to do so.) Often I will attach one of the two different Visual Verification forms that I use. One is simply a statement by the Signing Agent and the other is basically the same except the borrowers sign it, swearing that the contents are correct, and the notary can complete the printed jurat.

You can download this documents if you wish from my website:
http://www.pawnotary.com/FloridaRoom/VVID_NOTARY.pdf
http://www.pawnotary.com/FloridaRoom/VVID_SA.pdf

If you have problems with these files (Adobe Reader v6 or better required), please email me.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/1/05 11:42am
Msg #23046

Thanks, Paul!

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/1/05 11:58am
Msg #23050

That was so generous of you, Paw! Thank you so much!
Mysti

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/1/05 12:24am
Msg #22971

Had the same situation this afternoon - no mention of needing copies of ID until I printed the docs and by that time I was late leaving to get there on time thru 5pm traffic! I asked the borrowers when I got there if they by chance had copies of their iD's. Of course the answer was "No, nobody told us we needed to". I said, "That's ok, I'll take a picture with my camera phone" Not the best quality but it'll work ok if the lighting is good. They proceeded to have their son take the pictures with his digital camera and print it out on their printer. I appreciated it, and the son had fun doing it.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/1/05 5:44am
Msg #22990

I've had it happen to me to....I called the SS and they told me to write down exactly what was on their drivers license on a piece of paper and send that in. Generally when I get an assignment and call to confirm I tell them to have a copy of their ID ready. Not all SS's need it but I tell them just in case I have it. I did one last night which was last minute....I needed a second ID as well and all they had was their medical cards and their visa check card so I copied their check cards in addition to their drivers license.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/1/05 12:00pm
Msg #23052

Well, between Paw's forms and my digital, I think I should be ok!
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me!
Mysti

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/1/05 11:30am
Msg #23044

Thanks, Stacy. Sounds like a logical answer. Maybe I can use that when I make the confirmation of the appointment call and just advise them, that since one of the requirements of funding is a copy of the ID, maybe they will not "forget".

Mysti.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/1/05 1:24am
Msg #22972

I carry a digital camera with me to all signings now for that purpose. Some of the SS's fined $25 for sending docs back without the copy of DL. Most of the time there is a Kwik Trip (convenience store) nearby, but many of my signings are out in the boonies. Since I started carrying my camera, I've used it approximately 15 times to take pictures of the borrowers licenses. They have always been very appreciative and I don't have to worry about getting getting fined for not returning it with the docs.

PS--This is one very good example of what I've learned on this forum. I would have never thought of doing it before.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/1/05 2:03am
Msg #22983

Has anyone ever had an objection from a borrower about taking a photograph of their license? It strikes me as the type of thing I would think a lot of people would be uncomfortable with, but I see that a lot of people on here seem to do it with no problems.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/1/05 2:09am
Msg #22985

I just mention that I carry my digital camera just for that purpose (after they tell me they forgot to get the copies). I then ask them if they would like me to take a picture of the licenses and that I will print it off and then delete it immediately from my camera afterwards. They have never seemed the least bit concerned. They probably figure that I already have all of the other personal information from the docs and they may as well trust me with that also. I also thought they might resist, but they always are very happy that I offer them the service. Hope I'm making sense--I don't know about you, but I'm wiped out. Need to crash.

Reply by HDW/TN_37311 on 3/1/05 5:32am
Msg #22989

I always ask for copies when I call and intro myself. It has never been a problem and I have never been refused nor left without them. I just ask whether it is required or not. I would rather have them and not need them, then to wish I had done it after the fact. Just go ahead and ask for them is my routine.

Reply by Tina_M on 3/1/05 8:51am
Msg #23002

I have a Palm Pilot that takes photos. I simply take a picture of the ID @ the table, print it when I get home and send it with the package.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/1/05 9:04am
Msg #23003

Re: Initial Phone Call to Borrowers

When calling Borowers to introduce yourself and confirm date/time of appointment (whether or not you were told when accepting the assignment), ALWAYS tell borrower you will need to have them make a copy of their ID *before* the appointment that will need to be sent back with signed docs.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 3/1/05 9:51am
Msg #23009

Re: Initial Phone Call to Borrowers

I always tell the borrower I will need copies of their drivers license, that it is a must for their loan to fund. I have even had the borrower call me to tell me they will be late coming home due to having to get the ID copied. I do have a scanner and a digital camera and camera cellphone so I can always get it somehow

Reply by BK/FL on 3/1/05 10:06am
Msg #23014

This happens very often to me when I instruct borrowers of copies of ID needed and arrive to find they "forgot" or did not have time.

I now carry a Brother MFC, which has a flatbed copier and fax in my van which is hooked up to a power converter in the rear of my van behind the third row of seats. This way if borrowers do not have it done I run out to my van and make a copy.

This is also very helpful to have when new HUD's have to be faxed and borrowers have no fax machine. I also carry both legal and letter size papers.

Several of my loans lately are clearly stating NO COPY OF ID AND SOC. SEC. CARD...NO FUNDING! BK/FL

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/1/05 3:46pm
Msg #23116

*when I instruct borrowers of copies of ID needed and arrive to find they "forgot" or did not have time. *

I feel that I'm not their babysitter. I request a one-day advance signing notice and rarely take same day assignments. Therefore, Borrowers generally have one whole day to make copies of drivers licenses. Many of my signing packages have even begun including a page stating something to the effect that if they haven't made copies of their drivers licenses, to stop the signing and call such and such.

I'm not taking my digital camera to signings. I could use my Palm Pilot which has a camera, but I'm not getting paid any extra to do something I've already requested the Borrowrs to do themselves. If they are old enough to refi or take out a HELOC, or whatever type of loan they are getting, they are old enough to photocopy their drivers license.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/1/05 4:28pm
Msg #23125

I'm pretty much with you Carolyn. If I'm told the borrower needs a copy of their ID I'll relay the message to them. If they have it, great, I send it back with the docs. If they don't have it I just send the docs back without it. If the title company needs it they can contact the borrower and arrange to have it faxed or mailed to them.

I've had plenty of people forget to make the copy of their ID and it's never been an issue when I return the docs without it.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/1/05 5:41pm
Msg #23128

Privacy and identity theft issues keep me from even contemplating taking a digital photo (or any other kind) of somebody else's driver's license, etc. When borrowers have their IDs scanned into their computers already, I warn them about hackers. (Yes, yes, yes, I know. That's beyond a notary's job.) Call me paranoid; you'll be in good company.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/1/05 6:42pm
Msg #23131

It's just another piece of their identity that I don't want to be responsible for.

As with you, I've also included packages where the borrowers hadn't taken the time to make copies of thier licenses with a notation in the loan package. No one has ever contacted me to make another trip to get it, and I've never been docked for it -- perhaps because they contact the borrowers themselves.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 3/1/05 9:35pm
Msg #23163

I am so wishy-washy on my opinions! But I think that you have a major point. If they don't provide it, it is not my problem.

I just completed an assignment. The assignment was 30 minutes away, at 6:00. The docs were sent to me only after I advised the signing agent at around 4:30, that hello, where were they (I received the assignment yesterday) and she then followed up. I forgot to take my camera, although I thought it was a great suggestion. And, I had just downloaded what Paw so generously provided, which should have been completed and signed by the borrowers, in lieu of the stupid copies, but I forgot to incorporate that into the documents.

I've only just learned to say "your loan won't fund without my having a copy of your IDs so please have it ready when I arrive". I will begin with the next assignment!

Mysti

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.