Notary Rotary
Disability insurance for Notaries?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Laura on 2/22/05 10:40am
Msg #21786

I'm looking for any information on how Notaries protect themselves from injury or long term illness in the form of insurance. Being self-employed, I was wondering if anyone else has experience with some form of insurance coverage for notaries.

Thanks for any help!

Laura

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/22/05 11:28am
Msg #21792

Contact a Local Insurance Agent...

...for a disability insurance quote. The rates shouldn't be outrageous based on the minimal risk we face as Notaries/Signing Agents. There are no "group" policies to be had that I'm aware of...it'll be on an individual basis.

BTW, this is not to be construed as giving advice other than recommending you contact a local agent to ascertain the particulars for your area.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/22/05 2:11pm
Msg #21817

Re: Contact a Local Insurance Agent...

Actually, the amount of driving that we do is considered high risk for disability insurance purposes.

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 2/22/05 12:09pm
Msg #21795

Chek NNA

At the risk of being labeled a shill for NNA and for info purposes only, the NNA offers a number of insurance programs for it's members
I saw LTD listed
I have NOT looked into any of them
If you decide to purchase anything from NNA , I will NOT be compensated in any way.
If , at the NNA convention, the NNA provides me with anything of value, including a drink, I will immediately offer to share it with any NR board participants who happen to be in the bar area at the time.
Seriously, I anyone spots me in Vegas (my badge will say "Bob-Chicago" please stoip me and say Hi. I am about 5' 8", pleasingly plump , have most of my hair (not quite as dark as it used to be) and wear glasses.
The rumors of my strong resembelance to Tom Cruise are probably somewhat exagerated,

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/22/05 12:44pm
Msg #21800

This is Probably the Only Time...

...you & I may agree on an NNA related topic, Bob. If you go to the NNA's web site, there's a link under their NNA Affiliates page which takes you to a web page for an organization called MemberNetUSA Insurance Programs. They're "approved" (whatever that means) by the NNA & they show Long Term Disability as one of the coverages they offer on a group basis. Personally I'd check with a local agent for your LTD needs in addition to any quotes you may find on a group basis through an organization like this. JMHO & not intended to be construed as insurance advice!

BTW, Bob...mark this down on your permanent calendar as well. Two days in a row! Whoooooo Wheeeeee!

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 2/22/05 12:50pm
Msg #21801

PTL 2X, now I have to go out and make some $$$

Reply by Tom Cruise on 2/22/05 1:52pm
Msg #21815

Re: Chek NNA

Please take note that the only thing Bob-Chicago and I share is a common gender.

Unless, of course, he has something going with Nicole.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/22/05 2:35pm
Msg #21822

Re: Chek NNA

I hear Bob looks more like Brad Pitt.

Or, was it Walter Matthau?

Smiley

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 2/22/05 3:00pm
Msg #21827

Re: Chek NNA...Cute Brenda n/m

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 2/22/05 3:20pm
Msg #21830

Note to Tom re: Nicole

Actually, Nicole has approached me on several occaisions, having heard that I am a far better man than you in addition to being better looking.
I rejected her advances in the fear that something like that could be fatal
Her doctor, however, has since assured me that she is in perfect health.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/22/05 1:14pm
Msg #21804

Do a serch for group insurance for the self employed. I used to be in business with my EX and i did find group insurance for small business and self employed here in california.

Reply by Donna_CA on 2/22/05 8:40pm
Msg #21897

My full time job is with the State Disability Insurance Office. California offers a short term disability program for self-employed individuals (elective coverage). For information, check the following link http://www.edd.ca.gov/direp/diind.htm. There's a paragraph about elective coverage under SDI Plans and also a link for elective coverage information under the FAQ's.

Reply by laura on 2/23/05 12:32am
Msg #21952

Thank you for all the great information!! I appreciate the help!!

Laura

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.