Divorce Paperwork = "911" LOL
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Korey Humphreys on 2/16/05 7:19pm
Msg #20920

OMG,

This afternoon I was asked to go to somebody's house in a nearby town to witness signatures on divorce paperwork. The paperwork consisted of separation agreement, asset disbursement agreement, Irretriveable Breakdown of Marriage affidavit, and a couple of other affidavits/agreements the couple wanted notarized.

I got there five minutes early and I was greeted by the wife (soon to be divorced). She was pleasant and very nice. She insited that I have a cup of coffee, and we chit chatted until her husband arrived.

Fifteen minutes later, the husband walks in and the wife yelled at him for not knocking on the door before he entered! After a few snigh remarks back and fourth to one another, we got on our way with the notarization requests.

I kid you not, the husband and wife argued about every little thing that was written in the paperwork. Supposedly they both agreed to it before, and had it typed up nicely so it could be understood and read.

They just kept arguing and arguing. The wife looked at me and said "keep him under control!" I polietly looked at her and stated that I'm just hear to check your ID's and witness your signatures.

About twenty-minutes later, with them still arguing back and fourth, I looked at them both and very very very politely told them that "I'm a public officer, not the judge! Quite frankly I don't care what the cause of your divorce is, and I don't care where you two end up after I leave here!!! I'm here to administer the oaths, and certify your signing of these papers. If you don't cooperate, I will be forced to get off this chair and walk away from you two!"

Needless to say, they both focused on my duties and kept their mouths closed. I listend to them bick and moan for about an hour. The $250.00 they paid me was not enough! Believe me, I would have rather stayed home!! LOL

One good thing though....... they reminded me why I should remain single and just see and date whom I want!!!! Smiley LOL

Just thought I'd share this with you all. Have a good day!

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/16/05 7:48pm
Msg #20928

Better you, than me!

I would have done just what you did. Isn't it funny, the situations we find ourselves in as NP's? I love to read the stories y'all share. And, just think, we do this because we love it!

Thanks for the LOL.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/16/05 10:30pm
Msg #20957

Did you happen to notice whether there was a bass boat in the driveway? If so, do you still have the woman's phone number?

Reply by Hampton/CA on 2/16/05 10:55pm
Msg #20960

Hugh's kind of signing

Hugh, I had a signing that was right up your alley last night. As I pulled into the driveway, the husband comes off the porch and says he'll be right back. He went into the garage and came out with a glass of beer that he'd pulled from his keg.

We signed papers for about 20 minutes. By the time I left, there were at least four of his buddies there, all standing in the garage with a glass of beer.

There was a boat at the house, but they're happily married.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/16/05 11:18pm
Msg #20964

Re: Hugh's kind of signing

Hampton/CA commisserates:

***There was a boat at the house, but they're happily married.***

The bass boat and liquor store are required. It isn't absolutely essential that they be single, divorced or widowed. Only that the husband the husband spends lots of time out of town.

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/16/05 11:07pm
Msg #20961

AND, did you check the 1003? Does she own a liquor store?

XXXOOO

Reply by Anonymous on 2/17/05 8:23am
Msg #21008

WOW, that is great that you can do that for divorces, here in Texas it is a big no no, if you are not an attorney, because of the controversies such as that. I would of not taken it. I had a signing for a loan to pay past due homestead taxes and the husband and wife argued the whole time i was there, i just sat in the corner and left quickly........they wife was arguing about the amount they were going to have to pay back, because she did not want to wait in line to pay their taxes, of course, i had a million questions such as, what happened to the money? but i just sat in the corner and left quickly, hahahaha Smiley

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 2/17/05 1:46pm
Msg #21055

I walked into Bank of America @ noon Saturday- the teller said to me "Know what just happened"? "No" I replied.

"A couple came in and asked for a Notary, we pointed him the next teller- they went over - shoved their Marriage License to him, said we want to be married Now! He said a few words- they acknowledged- he notorized- and off they went!"

Being a Bank Notary- Guess that was a Freebee for them. (Bet they went next door to McDonalds for a Drive-up Wedding Buffett.)

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/17/05 1:59pm
Msg #21057

Question for Korey

Korey,

Not questioning you, but cannot help but be curious when I see the $250 fee.

What kind of fee structure provides for $250 charge on notarizations? I'm thinking in Texas, at $6 per certificate, even with a travel fee that would make me have to charge for doing at least 30.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 2/17/05 2:23pm
Msg #21059

Re: Question for Korey

Brenda, I just went to the MA website and unlike the Ca handbook, it does not give a cap on the fee per signature. I do other notarizations, but I charge a $25 travel fee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.