Notary Rotary
First signing off this website
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by CaSigner on 2/22/05 7:21pm
Msg #21881

I just received my first call from someone who saw my profile on Notary Rotary. I usually deal with local Northern California companies but this one is from a Southern California real estate company needing a signing in my area. How do I go about negotiating a fee? He never mentioned a fee, however, when I did he asked me to email him a copy of my indep. contractor's agreement with my price, via email tonight, and they will look at it tonight and call me back tomorrow a.m. My signing is at 3:00 tomorrow. My question is, is there a blank contract form I should fax back to him? All the other companies have given me a form.

Reply by Sylvia Croft on 2/22/05 8:53pm
Msg #21899

Did you check his website to see if there is one available there?

Reply by CaSigner on 2/22/05 9:55pm
Msg #21913

They are realestate company, and no, it never occured to me to ask for a website. The gentleman I talked to said they normaly contract locally but since this was up north they needed to go outside of their usual pool of signing agents.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/22/05 9:00pm
Msg #21901

**How do I go about negotiating a fee? He never mentioned a fee, however, when I did he asked me to email him a copy of my indep. contractor's agreement with my price, via email tonight, and they will look at it tonight and call me back tomorrow a.m. My signing is at 3:00 tomorrow. **

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this -- you've accepted a signing for tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 without any mention of fees? If so, I'm assuming that the docs are going to be e-docs and not overnighted ... have they sent you any kind of confirmation -- the borrower's names, addresses, etc.?

In the future, don't ever accept a signing or even get off the phone without having an agreed upon signing fee. Don't ever do a signing without that agreed upon fee on the confirmation.

Reply by CaSigner on 2/22/05 9:53pm
Msg #21910

The docs are being sent to me tomorrow, there are no fax backs, no e-docs, and it's three miles from my house. I confirmed all that before I even agreed to it. I mentioned $55 for a straight signing and he agreed, I sent them and email regarding the fee and they have emialed me back agreeing to it. My question was more about billing. Do I even need a contractor agreement with them or can I invoice them?

Reply by Mystiquera on 2/22/05 10:32pm
Msg #21918

I've only done two signings. However, in each case, I was called, we agreed to fee and I was sent the documents once via fax and once via overnight. In one case, they advised me to invoice them and I invented a quick one on the computer. In the other case, they wanted a set type of invoice and sent it to me, including the information and price I needed to include on the invoice (which was more than the amount they were paying me). In both cases, the invoice was the only thing I did. No contract/agreement was necessary and both paid in a timely manner.

Reply by CaSigner on 2/22/05 11:12pm
Msg #21927

Thank you very much for your information. I have emailed a list of my fees and they are to email me tomorrow to confirm (before the signing). I have included in my fee schedule that I will be invoicing them.

Reply by CaSigner on 2/22/05 11:14pm
Msg #21928

p.s. Did you put on your invoice when you wanted to be paid by? i.e. 45 days

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/22/05 11:22pm
Msg #21935

**p.s. Did you put on your invoice when you wanted to be paid by? i.e. 45 days**

Again, SS's payment schedules are different. You can put any length of time you want, but this is another thing you need to discuss with the SS's up front when accepting the assignment. If they have a website, many list their payment policies there.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/22/05 11:19pm
Msg #21933

**My question was more about billing. Do I even need a contractor agreement with them or can I invoice them?**

This is something between you and the individual SS's. Some SS's want you to sign an Independent Contractor Agreement, some don't. For some, the invoice is their confirmation sheet. For other SS's, you send them your invoice. Each of us here can tell you anything, but each SS you sign for is who you ask these type of questions.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 2/22/05 11:38pm
Msg #21945

You should consider raising your fees. Anytime I am contacted directly by an escrow company, title company, mortgage company, real estate company, or any other company other than a signing company, my base fee is $125. I once got a call from a lender and asked what he was authorized to pay. He said $300. So don't under quote yourself.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/23/05 9:37am
Msg #21969

On the invoice I did not put the amount of time to pay me, although you certainly can, as is done by other service providers. However, during the conversation, one told me that he paid fast (and he did, within the week I had my check) and the other said they paid on the 1st and 15th and my check was timely.

Here's a question. When the caller contacted me and asked me how much I charged, there is no way to determine if they are a agency or a mortgage company etc. So, I don't want to undercut myself. I start by telling them $100 and if they hem and haw, I bring down the price. Is this typical (I know, this should have been another thread - sorry!!!).

Mysti/FL

Reply by CaSigner on 2/23/05 10:11am
Msg #21975

That's another question I have. On this website we have stated our base price and that is what he was going by.

Reply by CaSigner on 2/23/05 10:10am
Msg #21974

I thought as much. You live and learn! Thanks

Reply by CaSigner on 2/23/05 10:13am
Msg #21976

I also noticed on the "Good Faith Estimate" that the notary fees were $50. Does that mean anything?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.