Notary Rotary
Foreign Docs
Notary Discussion History

Foreign Docs
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by kmnotary_CA on 2/5/05 6:50pm
Msg #19525

Foreign Docs

Does anyone know much about foreign documents and their requirements?

Specifically, I have someone from Romania that had to get their birth certificate translated, abd notarized (in Romania). The Notary there told her that she will have to also get her marraige certificate (from here) translated and notarized in order for it to be valid both in the States, and in Romania.

I do not think this is the case, as isn't a valid marraige certificate from here good enough for our INS as well as a foreign consulate? And as far as translating, I told her I cannot do this, and notarize it. Hard for her to understand as in Romania a Notary is like an attorney. She thinks putting the seal on it makes it legal, which of course I told her it doesn't.

Any comments, suggestions, experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reply by Lopez0351 on 2/5/05 6:55pm
Msg #19526

I think that since it deals with birth and marriage, the best thing to do is have her contact the local registrar/recorder since they deal in that arena.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 2/5/05 8:06pm
Msg #19531

In CA, we notarize the signer. She can do whatever she wants with the document. We are not to be concerned with the content, even if it's in a foreign language. So notarize it with whatever is on the document or whatever is requested, be it an ACK or a Jurat. Just make sure that your certificate reflects an actual notarization, and not just somebody wanting your seal on the paper, which we can't do.

Reply by kmnotary_CA on 2/5/05 9:03pm
Msg #19535

Thank you guys for your comments. Unfortunetly our local registrar doesn't do foreign births, nor do they translate docs.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of anyone that had this situation of translating a marraige certificate in order to be valid overseas. Your comments are appreciated though. It appears each country has their own requirements. And I know from experience that Romania tends to make paperwork very difficult.

Reply by Lorraine2 on 2/6/05 9:34pm
Msg #19594

Romania is apart of the Hague Convention and may require the marriage record to be apostilled or exemplified. That's done by the SOS, and usually coordinated by the State Office of Vital Statistics. You typically have to write two checks for that, one for VS and the other for the SOS.

I work at the Florida OVS, but I don't happen to know whether or not if your friend already has a certified copy of their marriage record whether they could cut out VS and go directly to SOS, or not.

The apostilling will probably satisfy the Romanian government, but if some entity inside Romania is wanting an official translation, they may have to coordinate that through a translation service.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.