Notary Rotary
Funny thing happened to me today.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by fiKS on 2/11/05 9:16pm
Msg #20324

Got a call today for a signing. I was informed verbally 3-4 times and in writing that the borrowers are very sensitive. Be sure to be on time. Documents were sent to borrowers. I can almost picture what I'd be up against, but, sure, no problem, I said. Arrived 15 minutes early. I sat in my car and pulled out docs for my next appt. Review driving directions, etc. 5 mins. till schedule appt. I thought I'd take my coat off, it's a nice evening. Walked to back door to hang my coat. Shut the driver side door and dang! I locked myself out with everything in the car but me and my coat! I must have accidentally hit the power lock as I was getting out. So now what do I do? Paced up and down, I have less than 5 minutes to figure what to do.

Suddenly I realized....The docs are with the borrowers. I can stamp the docs later. I'm sure the borrowers have black ink pens. I'm all set. I'll deal with the auto club later. Calmly, I walked up the the borrowers house and knocked on the door. I keep some business cards in my coat pocket. Introduced myself to the wife, who let me in. I handed her a business card. I know we've been told not to make small talk at these things but I was getting kinda stressed out so I started telling her about the car.

Husband was at the dining table, going through the docs with a fine tooth comb, with a big frown on his head. He kept mumbling that he's not going to sign. He's not paying $39 for tax transcripts, he doesn't want a revolving credit with variable rate...etc. He looked up at me and said, I'm sorry, looks like you came all the way out here for nothing. He was quite pleasant, not what I expected. He said, there's nothing in the docs that talks about his payments. I flipped through the docs and showed him the note. He said to give him a minute to read some more. He looks at me and ask if I'd like to use his phone to call the sherriff, a friend of his, to help me with the car. The sherriff does it all the time (small town). I nodded and thanked him. Wife got on the phone and called, Mike, the sherriff, and 5 minutes later Mike was there with the slim jim-watcha-ma-call-it. Borrower still wanted to read docs and I went out to sign a release form with the Sherriff otherwise he cannot touch my car. While out there the SS company called the borrower and he told them the problem he was having with the documents and that he wasn't going to sign. It must have been a very short call because I was only gone for about 30 seconds and when I got back in, the borrower said, "your supervisor called". I knew who he meant but I didn't correct him. He said, "I told her that I had to call the sherriff and you were out there talking to the sherriff..." then he burst out laughing. He said "your supervisor was so worried but she got off the phone before I told her that I was kidding" We talked a few more minutes and he handed me all the docs. I asked if he wanted to talk to his LO, he said no, he doesn't want to talk to anyone. The meeting ended pleasantly and I excused myself. Both husband and wife went outside with me to watch the Sherriff break into my car.

I could see my phone from the window, it was ringing off the hook...the SS company called 5 times over a span of 5 minutes. They got to open my car door, and I called the SS. Explained that everything was alright...although borrowers did not sign. SS said it was ok, they'll pay me full price....they were just so glad that I was not being hand cuffed away by the town's sheriff!!!

Well, that was an interesting job! Thanks for reading...I just had to get the giggles out of my system! Moral of the story.....keep a spare key in your coat pocket!

Reply by Cynthia Seipel on 2/11/05 9:22pm
Msg #20326

OK, well, that does a lot to help with my pre-first signing jitters! Great story though. Thanks for the giggle.

Reply by sue on 2/12/05 7:15am
Msg #20349

cute story gave me a smile this a.m.

I too am always afraid of the automatic locks. When I get out of my car at say the UPS/FE box I put a window down, even in the pouring rain, in the freezing cold, whenever. When I get out of the car for good with the car still running I gather up what I need, then turn the car off and get out with keys in my hand. Once I'm out with keys still in my hand, I shut the door, hit the lock and then put keys in my bag or pocket.
Don't know if it's a sign of getting old or a sign of disliking 'new fangled' stuff.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/12/05 3:31pm
Msg #20395

Auto car door locks and BrendaTx don't get on very well.

sue...about somethings, you and I are so much alike it spooks me. We have some extremely similar traits but sometimes we are exact opposites. Makes me wonder if a place in the universe which is some kind of a "human mirroring divide." And, based on what I know about me and you, it makes me think that this divide must be located precisely half way between PA and TX.

Reply by Art_MR on 2/13/05 1:05pm
Msg #20488

Re: locked out of car

I have a spare key on the car. What I've done is taken a spare key, drilled the hole a bit larger.

I've placed it under the front license plate and reattached the plate with the screw going thru the hole in the key.

Maryland has 2 plates. The rear one has the month and year stickers. Don't put under rear plate. Rear plates are sometimes stolen - front plates are never stolen.

This saved me a bunch of money when my kids were teenagers.

Works a lot better than the magnetic boxes which can fall off - and thieves know to look for them.

I'm sure no thieves read this board (unless you count some SS's)

Art

Reply by HisHughness on 2/13/05 1:19pm
Msg #20489

Re: locked out of car

Art_MR assures:

***I'm sure no thieves read this board (unless you count some SS's)***

That's probably true, Art -- but there are several lawyers who sign on.

Reply by Mary/ca on 2/13/05 1:20pm
Msg #20490

Speaking of funny stories, I have one to tell. My husband and I have been doing signings for about 3 years. During one of my first signings I had a borrower who lived up in the foothills outside Sacramento. I had to drive my husbands little sports car (Mazda Miata) because mine was in the shop. This signing was out in the middle of nowhere. I had to drive 5 miles an hour over around these steep cliffs that seemed to go on forever. Coming back from the signing I drove around a curve and out ran a deer. The deer slid over the front hood, over the top of the car and down the back. The deer got up and ran off into the woods. I was so scared I felt like peeing my pants. I didn't even stop the car. I kept driving almost all the way home. I was so terrified that my husband'd car was demolished. I stopped at a car wash to hose off the dust and look for damage. Amazingly I couldn't find a scratch on the car. Looking out for my own self preservation I decided not to tell my husband. To this day he still doesn't know.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.