Notary Rotary
Getting Educated
Notary Discussion History

Getting Educated
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by lmk/wi on 2/3/05 1:14pm
Msg #19337

Getting Educated

A friend of mine had suggested obtaining a banking certificate, if there is even such an animal, to get more knowledgeable on the docs in a loan signing. She also had spoken to a vice president of a bank, and he said that would be the only way he would hire out someone to do signings. Question is: Would a signing class serve the same purpose? My goal is to get as familiar with any and all documents that would need notarizing and witnessing to signature. Another question: If you have a signing thru a signing agency, but have the TI's contact info, is it kosher to call the TI with questions, or does it vary from company to company?

Reply by sb-mi on 2/3/05 5:41pm
Msg #19357

You should always call the agency that hires you. That way they are kept abreast of any activities. It really does vary from company to company, but you should always call the company that contracted you to do the signing first and ask them.

Reply by Traci Love on 2/3/05 6:14pm
Msg #19358

The lenders do not know the documents! The borrowers have called from the table to ask a question. Most of them have no clue. The title company is where the knowledge comes from.
This is my experience.

Reply by lmk/wi on 2/3/05 6:22pm
Msg #19361

Thanx. I have my first signing for Pacific Document Signings on Sat. Morn. Its from Ditech. I dont think I have been this nervous since high school!!

Reply by fiKS on 2/3/05 7:08pm
Msg #19367

When I call the borrower to confirm the appointment, I usually ask the borrower if they have a phone number for their loan officer (preferrably cell # - if the appointment is schedule outside normal business hours). If they didn't, I suggest they get it, or made sure there was someone we could contact after hours for specific questions. I would ask them to keep the number handy just in case we need to call him/her during signing. It is true that when you call the lender's office, not everyone would be familiar with the loan and may not be able to answer the borrower's question.

I had an experience once where the borrower had a very specific question and could not get a hold of her LO. The signing took almost 3 hours because no one could answer the borrower's question - not even the LO's supervisor. The lender use an answering service after hours so it took a while locating the LO.

Reply by lmk/wi on 2/3/05 8:33pm
Msg #19370

Great advice. I'll make sure I do that.

Reply by Rick - WA on 2/4/05 12:54am
Msg #19394

Remember, the first is always the hardest. After the 3rd or 4th signing you will look back on it and wonder why you were so nervous in the first place. 1) The borrowers don't know it's your first. 2) Take your time remember to breath and it will go ok!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.