Notary Rotary
Hope for the experienced notaries
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Nicole_NCali on 2/25/05 4:49pm
Msg #22511

During this week, I have been so busy that my eyes are crossing. I work fulltime and do my notary in the evenings and weekends. Well, I was called by a title company to clean up 2 notarizations that were originally outsourced to a SS. These loans had to close or all hell was going to break loose. (loan officer was counting chickens before they hatch)

Anway, the title company rep comments were to the effect, the other notary didn't even call back to see where the security instrument was (DOT), it was of course a lender/title co screw up but, after searching this board, I have seen more experienced notaries question the documents in the packet and have enough experience to let the title co know that it is missing. The other clean up was missed initials on the dot and not reading the bottom page which stated, *NOTARY PLEASE ATTACH AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT**

I believe this SS is a $50 co, but on the hud, they were receiving $200. I also believe the notary they hired was a new grad because I researched and saw that the notary filing was done in January.

So for all of the vets who are worried by the oversaturation of notaries, this soon shall pass. When LO aren't able to close their loans in a timely manner, the lowballing will end.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/25/05 4:59pm
Msg #22516

Too trueSmiley

I got called on a Sunday for a Monday signing. When I agreed to do it, the scheduler said I would need to pick up the docs from another notary - they paid me extra to do this.
Seems the other notary got the package, opened it up and didn't understand some of the docs and called the signing service to ask - they were tax docs - and I guess after a brief conversation with the notary the SS figured she wasn't qualified and so called me. They said they should have called me in the first place.

When I picked up the docs, it was a regular sized refi package, notary's husband said he thought they were not paying enough for such a big package (!) they were paying her $85, which for the distance to the signing from her house was good. But her husband said that he understood most companies paid $125=$150! Hmmmm wonder where he got that info from.

Had a funny the other day!
Went to drop a package off in the Fedex box. Dropped it into the box, and lifted the flap to get some supplies. There was a package in the supply area, going to a title company, had a note on it that it had to be delivered by 21st February - and this was already the 23rd February. Wonder how on earth someone put it in the wrong place! (It also shows that the Fedex guy doesn't check to see if supplies are needed when he empties the drop box)

I wonder what happened with this - did the title company or SS call the notary and ask about the package and the notary swore it was put in the drop box??

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/25/05 5:38pm
Msg #22525

Nice to hear your "voice" Sylvia! n/m

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/25/05 6:25pm
Msg #22531

What do other people's ethics say? Here's my take.

If I were in Silvia's FedEx box situation, I'd write down all the information on the FedEx label (To, From, Tracking Number, etc., plus the box location), and put the package into the correct slot so that it would go out. Then, when I'd gotten my business done for the day, I'd start looking on the 'Net for the "To" and "From" companies. I'd contact both of them and politely tell them I'd found the package, giving as many details as I felt comfortable. (If the "From" were a notary, I'd contact the notary first. But no matter what the notary said, I'd still contact the "To"!) When that had been done, I'd contact FedEx with the box location, package date, and date/time I'd found the package (I wouldn't mention the "From" and "To" unless asked).

What say the usual suspects? (Brenda's going to give us a tome, I suspect.)

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 2/25/05 7:24pm
Msg #22537

Re: Experience doesn't cost me money

I am sure that company A and company B were well aware that they had no docs. I have over 4 title co going crazy over missing documents. I just closed my 1st loan and I am a bit panicked too. It took 1 extra day to lock the rate, the name was mispelled on the loan app and therefore the docs have to be corrected. Yeah, it is really a ball of fun from the LO perspective. I could not imagine having my docs sitting on a fedex bin....

Well, I am getting ready to go home. I have one signing for tonight and this is one is going to be a real hassle. (3 signers) Have a good one all

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/25/05 8:03pm
Msg #22542

Re: What do other people's ethics say? Here's my take.

I just put the package in the drop box. I should have written down the info - I did notice that the title officers name was Robyn West , but didn't take note of the company.

I did think it might look suspicious me writing down info from someone else's package.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/25/05 8:38pm
Msg #22552

No good deed goes unpunished ...

Ernest,

Maybe, if I knew the recipient was a mom and pop SS with real people, but otherwise....No.

It has been my experience that the folks on the other end are so defensive and so worried that what I am telling them is *they* are somehow imperfect. I figured out quickly that I am annoying them more than helping.

If I hang in there....after explaining and explaining, being transferred twice, put on hold, then the call gets dropped...I call back and finally get the right person, tell them the story ...
and they say, "Ok?? And???"

You say, "Well, do you want the name??? tracking number??"

"No. If it doesn't get here on time we have your number in the file and we will call you."

Click.

And you realize they never heard a word you said.

Pretty soon I came to see the only one who will truly care about the situation (besides me) is the person whose name is buried in the FEDEX package and I cannot open it up ...so... better to save two hours on the phone and just drop it in the box.

Everyone will be less stressed, you'll save time.... and the package will be there the next day.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/25/05 9:52pm
Msg #22566

I'd have dropped the package in the box and forgotten about it. Why go through all that effort when they're going to get the package the next day, probably within an hour or two of getting your messages?

Reply by LorraineK/FL on 2/25/05 10:05pm
Msg #22569

Same thing happened to me...found 2 packages (2 dates listed) when checking the supply bin. It was outside a government office and they were the sender. I took it to the top guy in the complex for him to follow-up. Good point about the next day service, but in my case I figured that whoever was putting them in there needed to be trained regarding how it all worked - otherwise, they'd probably keep doing it.

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/25/05 10:55pm
Msg #22571

I just can't believe that this happens. I do agree with most of you, I would have put it in the correct hole and forgot about it. I do wonder though, was the pkg. put in the wrong place by the same Notary that could not complete the job that Sylvia had to?

Makes you wonder.

I think I'll start a new notary course and solicit people walking out of the NNA "How to make $$$$$ as a Notary Signing Agent." I will call my course Document Shipping 101 a/k/a how to get repeat business by returning pkgs on time. Course study would include: FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS and what to do if a company refuses to give you a shipping account # to return docs.

If interested, please send SASE with check made payable to...........................

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/25/05 11:59pm
Msg #22578

I doubt it was the same notary Becca, as there is a drop box for Fedex closer than this one was, for that notary,. Can't see her coming all the way up here - unless she was going to the grocery store in that plaza.

Reply by Becca/Fl on 2/26/05 1:05am
Msg #22586

I was just curious.

As you know, I live 30 miles south of you and I have dropped pkgs. in Palm Bay. Although, I assure you, I know where to put the pkg for shipment.

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 2/26/05 1:13am
Msg #22589

Becca/Fl Consider adding "Chad 101"- Goes hand-in-hand.n/w

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/26/05 1:19am
Msg #22590

Re: Becca/Fl Consider adding "Chad 101"- Goes hand-in-hand.n/w

"Chad 101" - ROFL

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 2/26/05 1:37am
Msg #22593

Welcome Home Sylvia- We all missed you! n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/26/05 12:34pm
Msg #22627

Re: Welcome Home Sylvia- We all missed you! n/m

Thanks Happy
I had a nerve cauterized in my back and that has helped the pain, so I am able to be at the computer more nowSmiley

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/26/05 1:01pm
Msg #22629

Chad 101

Good idea. But, you forgot the main person this course should be for. I drove for AirBorne Express several years ago until I hurt my back. It is the driver's responsibility to check the top portion of the box to see if it needs supplies. If he had done his job the pkgs would have been seen and pickedup.

Reggie
Kansas

ps I delivered when I lived in Alabama near Huntsville

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/26/05 1:02pm
Msg #22630

Chad 101

Good idea. But, you forgot the main person this course should be for. I drove for AirBorne Express several years ago until I hurt my back. It is the driver's responsibility to check the top portion of the box to see if it needs supplies. If he had done his job the pkgs would have been seen and pickedup.

Reggie
Kansas

ps I delivered when I lived in Alabama near Huntsville

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 2/27/05 12:30pm
Msg #22731

Reggie
Glad you didn't say you delivered in Dallas, Ga

I used to have an account with Airborne Express.
I sent a birthday package to my grandson in Dallas, Ga, overnighted it via Arborne.
He never got it. I called Airborne who insisted it had been delivered that morning.
They sent the driver out there who told my son in law that she had no idea what happened to it, she stood at the bottom of the driveway and threw it towards the front door but couldn't say where it landed. (to get to the front door you had to walk up some steps, and I guess she just couldn't be bothered). Package never showed up.
To get reimbursed I would have had to send Airborne a receipt, but I had bought the present several months earlier in England, it was not available in the USA, so it was special!

I have never used Airborne Express since!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.