Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How do you determine how much to charge ?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Yahoo 49 on 2/18/05 6:38am
Msg #21145

I'm new to this field and could use some advice on how much to charge ? When I registered on this site, I didn't have a clue what the base fee, how much per mile, copy and fax charges, and the e-mail charges would be. Could some of you give me a basic idea of what to charge ?

I also recieved a call from a contact within about 2 hours wanting a notary in my area - but wouldn't use me because I was new. She said she had a mobile home closing that had about 75 pages and needed someone who was experienced to handle it - how do you get the experience to handle such a job ?

Thanks

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/18/05 8:57am
Msg #21152

As far as how much to charge, i would suggest you do a search. This issue has been discussed many times. You might use the word "fees"; I imagine that there are other words that would be useful too.

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/18/05 9:15am
Msg #21154

add your state to your name, learn your state laws, call a few Signing Agents in your area to ask if you can accompany them on an assignment. Study all the loan docs you can get your hands on...go to the signing services tab above and list with the good ones. IREP gave me my first job and I've done several since. They do their signings at your local HFC/Beneficial offices and the people there will help you and make sure you did it properly before you leave, good training.

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/18/05 11:08am
Msg #21171

I was given some advice the other day about what to charge as a base fee and I will pass it on for what it's worht.

this gentleman has been doing signings for years and told me that if you charge less than $65.00 by the time you have the hour before the client and the drive time and wear and tear on your car and the time you put in before and after the close you have probablely 3 hours into a closing so anything less and your not making any money.

Reginald Wilks
Kansas

Reply by IZZY/CA on 2/18/05 2:57pm
Msg #21224

The way i see it, i charge $25/hr, it takes me 3 hours to do a complete signing from begining to end, so i charge a minimum of $75 just to get out of the door for a signing, you have to spend time to receive the docs, you have to spend time going to the signers home, which some times if im lucky and mapquest.com gives me the right directions im there within 45 minutes or less, 30-60 minutes for the signing and some small talk to market your services for future use, 30 - 60 minutes to go to my local kinkos to mail the package back, and 30 minutes to drive back home, but if i receive the docs i charge $125-$150, you have to spend an additional 30-60 minutes just downloading the docs and making two copies. $75 to $150 per signing is not bad for 2 to 4 hours of work. So if you have a minimum wage part time job, it will take you 5 days to make what you make in one signing.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/18/05 7:15pm
Msg #21290

I JUST GOT MY FIRST CALL FROM MY POSTING HERE. BUT I DIDNT HAVE THE RIGHT PRINTER. I HAVE A BROTHER LASER PRINTER. THEY ONLY WANTED SOMEONE WITH A DELL PRINTER.
NOW I WONDER WHAT THE DIFFRENCE IS. A LASER PRINTER IS A LASER PRINTER, OR SO I THOUGHT

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/18/05 8:25pm
Msg #21292

Erna, Are you sure it was a Dell? That sounds odd...perhaps it was an HP/Hewlitt-Packard they would have rather you had.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/18/05 9:15pm
Msg #21302

I bet they asked about PCL which could sound similar to Dell.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.