Notary Rotary
Jail Signings
Notary Discussion History

Jail Signings
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Slarty_FL on 2/17/05 4:22pm
Msg #21080

Jail Signings

I saw someone post that they do mobile notary work in jails on ocassion. This sounds like a decent add-on to my list of services, but can anyone help me with information: who pays for this and how do you collect? It stands to reason that the prisoner probably won't have his checkbook handy. Smiley

Thanks in advance.

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/17/05 4:27pm
Msg #21082

In my area of Florida (Treasure Coast) I have been told on many occasions that the CO's provide Notary Services to inmates @ no charge. I have closed numerous loans for deputies and each time I ask about providing services, I get the same reply.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 2/17/05 4:31pm
Msg #21083

I have done several signings for jail/holding center residents :-) You are contacted mainly by the family who may need POA notarized. The detainees normally have an id badge on their person with their lock-up number and I also get one of the guards who I know (friend of mine) to act as a credible witness. The family member understands that they are to pay for the trip. Most of the signings are on the weekend due to court hearings and other stuff during the week.

Reply by Jon on 2/17/05 5:44pm
Msg #21095

Slarty asked,

"who pays for this and how do you collect? It stands to reason that the prisoner probably won't have his checkbook handy."

My understanding is 2 packs of smokes per notarization. (I think I saw it in a movie Smiley )

Reply by Slarty_FL on 2/17/05 5:48pm
Msg #21096

ROTFLMAO! :-D

Reply by Carolanne_PA on 2/17/05 6:25pm
Msg #21105

I've done several at the county prison. Each time I have been contacted by the warden. We meet in the visitor's room under supervision. The warden has the check ready when I arrive. It comes out of the inmate's account. I've heard there is someone at the courthouse that does it for free. However, she won't come for a single document

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.