Notary Rotary
Journal Audit
Notary Discussion History

Journal Audit
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 2/9/05 11:38am
Msg #19933

Journal Audit

I was just wondering if anyone has had their notary journal audited by the Probate Judge or by the State.....I was just wondering what was involved. I keep a journal myself but I know a lot of notaries and attorneys that do not have journals.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/9/05 12:14pm
Msg #19942

Never been audited, but have journals back to 1989.

What's scary is that here in Texas, if you work for certain entities, like a government entity/ the county, you don't have to keep a journal. That's understandable. However, since no one bothers to read their commission materials, the rumor mill among notaries incorrectly states that Texas Journals are no longer required. INCORRECT!!!!

Reply by Back to Yah on 2/9/05 2:24pm
Msg #19956

I was just wondering in the wonderful state that I live in they are known to be a Lawsuit Abundant State and I keep a journal for myself but I know others that just have not thought it was important to keep a journal and were unaware you had to keep one. It states in
the law it can be audited by the state or probate judge in the county of commission and lack of a journal would be a loss of notary and fines. Thanks for your input.

Reply by Anonymous on 2/9/05 2:43pm
Msg #19960

I do now because it is required in my state.

Reply by sue on 2/9/05 8:05pm
Msg #19991

I was first commissioned in 1974. I have never had anyone request anything from me regarding notary work and I've done A LOT of notarizations over the years.

Reply by HARRY_PA on 2/10/05 9:01am
Msg #20054

BEEN VISITED BY AN ATTORNEY FOR A WILL I NOTARIZED THAT WAS CONTESTED AND WAS SUPOENED FOR A COURT CASE FOR A NOMINATING PETITION THAT I ALSO NOTARIZED. IN PA, THE TWO MAJOR REASONS THAT NOTARIES ARE DICIPLINED ARE NOT REQUIRING PERSONAL APPEARANCE BY THE SIGNER AND NOT KEEPING THE REQUIRED JOURNAL.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.