Notary Rotary
Just a question
Notary Discussion History

Just a question
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by John_NorCal on 2/21/05 10:16am
Msg #21606

Just a question

Since this is a public forum meant to discuss issues that concern all of us, why do some people choose to be "anonymous?" It's not like someone is going to go after their crown jewels if their post isn't acceptable, or will they?

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/21/05 11:04am
Msg #21610

Yeah, some will Smiley

But, maybe they didn't register for the forum?

Reply by Anon/Ca on 2/21/05 11:56am
Msg #21618

Being an 'Anonymous' author helps dealing with the fear & shame associated with asking dumb &/or seemingly stupid questions, or those that may be percieved as so. At least that is my thought, but I do wish such posters would still put the state they live in on the author line.

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/21/05 1:04pm
Msg #21633

To my way of thinking the dumb/stupid question is the one that is not asked. While some people may be appear to be too harsh in their answers, it also seems that they are trying to get others to think about their question. Ask away folks, and do look at past posts, there is a lot to learn there.
Cheers!

Reply by Jon on 2/21/05 1:43pm
Msg #21636

Anon says:

"Being an 'Anonymous' author helps dealing with the fear & shame associated with asking dumb &/or seemingly stupid questions..."

I agree with that reasoning, but still don't understand it. Some of the questions asked ARE dumb and stupid questions. The reason that they are dumb and stupid is because they show that the poster has no real concern or understanding of a notary public. In any venture, it is wise to find out all you can before starting. Learning your state statutes to find out your responsibilities as a notary public should be a given before you start to notarize, not an afterthought. When someone asks "How many times do I stamp the certificate?", I can tell that the person really doesn't grasp the fundamentals of being a notary. Same thing with "What is a jurat, I've never heard of that?". These are questions that can be answered by reviewing your state statutes in most cases, people are just too lazy to look up the answers.

I also think it says alot about the person posting. Why would my opinion, a name on a chat board, cause you so much grief? While I want to be respected by my peers, most of the posters on this board are just names on a computer screen. Yes, I have had contact with some of the posters off-line, but most I haven't. I don't like to receive negative comments anymore than anyone else, but you all don't know me anyway, so it's not a problem. My self-esteem is not reliant on the response I get from this board.

The reason that people have such a problem with the more harsh answers is because inside they know that the harsh answers represent the truth, and the truth does hurt. For someone that has done research and still doesn't know the answer, they come here expecting to get the truth, and ideas as to how they can get the answer themselves next time. They are not bothered by the responses.

You will also notice that most of the answers will come from the same people over and over. PAW, Hugh, Brenda, Roger, Dennis, Joan, Bob and others always seem to answer. They don't always agree and may even be wrong at times, but it is obvious that they have done the research to be able to intelligently debate the differences(in most cases Smiley ).

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/21/05 2:28pm
Msg #21647

Jon???

Brenda??? Wrong???? Smiley

Of course I have been wrong! That's precisely why a notary should not seek the final answers about how to do the notary part of their job here.

Dumb/stupid questions don't exist. But, lazy people do. If it's a question about a notarial act, it's reckless and lazy to assume that you can post a question here and get a definitive answer.

Our notary jobs are not like regular jobs. We answer to the law. We have precise information to draw our answers from. It's lazy and capricious not to read and interpret the rules of our commission before posting a question, and then willingly taking an answer from a notary forum without reading the rules for yourself.

What if one day PAW-FL had a toothache and did not sign on...and say, for instance Ted, Jon, Hugh, Charm, Joan, Janet, Bob, Dennis, and I met Art and Loretta in MD for High Tea? Then, say we all had too much caffeine and decided to flip open Loretta's laptop and have a little fun typing wrong answers on the notary forums? Maybe we'd even call PAW's wife and ask her to give him another painkiller so we could use PAW's handle to spout ridiculous answers.

It could happen, you know! Smiley

I joked about the above, but honestly, I am surprised I have not seen this kind of trickery in this forum. It happens in other forums...Just something to think about.

Reply by Jon on 2/21/05 2:45pm
Msg #21652

Re: Jon???

I have to admit that sometimes when I don't respond it's because I am tempted to give a wrong answer on purpose. I think from now on I will just post the wrong answers and use Brenda-TX as my name.

I feel a lot better now, thanks for the idea, Brenda. Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/21/05 2:57pm
Msg #21658

You are welcome!

It happens all the time in other forums...public forums where there are lots of geeks especially. Every new posted gets ripped. You can get mad, or you can hang tough and convince them to give you real answers. It's kind of like they put you through the "fire" before they'll help you out. And, they all have really scary handles, too. (I bet PAW-FL knows what I am talking about!)

You are in real trouble if you go on those types of forums being gullible and believing the posters will give you good answers right off.

I guess that's why I find this group so mild. I have been to some macabre "zoos" in the past when I sought a computer solution. Finally found the Expert Exchange...but it's not public. Now, I just rely on PAW-FL and figuring he'll help me out if I get in trouble. Smiley ... I dropped my subscription to EE. Ka-ching Smiley

Reply by Brenda_TX on 2/21/05 2:59pm
Msg #21663

I think we all should post under Brenda's name (like I'm doing here). Then she will feel better about talking to herself, asking herself questions and then answering herself.

(aka Paul/FL, PAW_FL, PAW Notary Services. Pictures available from the Harris County courthouse and most post offices.)

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/21/05 3:05pm
Msg #21667

I am almost too scared to post!

But not quite. Sorry.

But, thank you, Paul...you made my point, but I must admit, it scared me for a minute!

Hopefully, those new to the board will read this post and understand why it's so important not to rely on others definitively.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/21/05 3:12pm
Msg #21669

Re: I am almost too scared to post!

And, just to ensure your sanity, questionable as it is, I purposely counterfeited your name by adding an underscore. Though it apparently didn't make any difference. A counterfeiters dream... no one notices his misteaks.

Reply by Jon on 2/21/05 3:46pm
Msg #21678

Re: I am almost too scared to post!

Paul mentioned:

"...misteaks"

I'll take mine meduim rare with some Worchestershire, please.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/21/05 4:00pm
Msg #21681

They're Not YOUR Steaks, Jon!

Paul obviously meant for his words to convey first person possessive intent.

;)

Reply by Jon on 2/21/05 5:02pm
Msg #21696

Re: They're Not YOUR Steaks, Jon!

I know, but I thought I'd try to talk him into sharing!!!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/21/05 2:53pm
Msg #21656

<<< Maybe we'd even call PAW's wife and ask her to give him another painkiller so we could use PAW's handle to spout ridiculous answers. >>>

I'll supply my own ridiculous answers, without painkillers, I might add. Thank you very much! Smiley

I certainly agree that no matter how much credibility someone has (or doesn't have, as the case may be) a prudent notary will get the correct information from the source, i.e., SOS, statutes, etc.

(Maybe I should repost this under Brenda's name, or Hugh's or Ted's or just any mouse.)

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/21/05 2:59pm
Msg #21662

It's NO Joke!

A little over two years ago I'd exiled myself from all message boards for some "quiet time" & when I came back after a couple of months the forum of choice was the GMN message board. It was dominated by the infamous Jamie Jessup & you haven't seen rough & tumble until you've experienced JJ's tirades. Something happened to me shortly after I rejoined the fray which I'll never forget. During a particularly heated exchange on a controversial topic, I noticed the wording of some of my posts had been "altered". It wasn't wholesale removal of my exact words, just a few here & there misrepresenting the tenor & intended meaning of my postings. The revisions didn't last very long either as the original posts were restored intact after a couple of hours. When I called this to the attention of the board at large, I was cast as delusional & called a liar by one poster in particular. Intimidation was the operative word to describe the motives of the person(s) behind this little cloak & dagger operation. Needless to say, two years later & counting...I'm still here, yet to be intimidated. Funny thing is...Jamie Jessup is long gone.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/21/05 10:53pm
Msg #21752

There's really no reason to choose "anonymous" when posting on this forum. Most of us are anonymous unless we have a link to our profile or post under our full names.

Aside from the few times where I've accidentally changed my posting name to my real name, all people in here really know about me is that I'm a notary in California. Except for Brenda, who knows who the man behind the curtain is.

I still have my anonynimity, yet can easily be distinguished from the other posters in the group. Simple enough.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/21/05 11:51pm
Msg #21754

CaliNotary discloses:

***all people in here really know about me is that I'm a notary in California. Except for Brenda, who knows who the man behind the curtain is.***

As I recall, Cali, the man behind the curtain was a phony.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/22/05 7:33am
Msg #21769

The Man Behind Kurten by Emily Litella

Hugh: "As I recall, Cali, the man behind the curtain was a phony."

On the contrary, Hugh.

Henry Kurten was a German soldier who decided not to return to army life after his furlough in America ended. He's the one that founded Kurten. Kurten, Texas is in Brazos County.

What??? Curtain??? Oh, that's very different...

Nevermind.

Emily Litella
Weekend Update - SNL

Reply by janCA on 2/21/05 12:27pm
Msg #21624

Go waaaaay back, John, and read forward. I can understand the Anon posting. People have been totally annihilated on this forum.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/21/05 12:40pm
Msg #21627

No, janCA, "people" have not been totally annihilated on this forum. Lazy signing agents and notaries public who haven't mastered even the basics of their craft and who expect others to do it for them have received some well-deserved scorn and some sound advice to know what they're doing before they muck up somebody's life.

If you are one of those, I hope you took the advice to heart. If you aren't, then I think you should attempt to display the same sympathy for the experienced posters on this board as you apparently do for those seek to use it to overcome their self-inflicted ineptitude.

Reply by janCA on 2/21/05 8:01pm
Msg #21719

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Hugh, but I do think there are some very mean-spirited comments on this forum.

I understand what you are saying when many "haven't mastered even the basics of their craft". It's very frustrating when I sit and read some of the messages asking "what is the difference between a jurat and acknowledgement"? These NSA's are not going to last very long and I won't waste my time answering their question. But I also will not pummel them as some posters do. JMHO

Reply by HisHughness on 2/21/05 8:11pm
Msg #21722

janCA condescends:

***Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Hugh***

I don't have feathers. I have scales. They slither better. Just ask my B&TEW.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/21/05 8:11pm
Msg #21723

janCA condescends:

***Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Hugh***

I don't have feathers. I have scales. They slither better. Just ask my B&TEW.

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 2/21/05 2:53pm
Msg #21657

And maybe a good question would be -- which teachers did you learn the most from in school; the ones who spoon fed you the answers to the test or the ones who made you do the work, the research, the writing, the homework? I think all of us can think back on a teacher that at the time we thought was the teacher from H***, only to get out in the world and discover that that teacher best prepared you for real life. My typing teacher, Mrs. Miller (see I even remember her name and if I could draw could draw you a picture of her), made us all practice perfect typing -- not speed. Many a day I would get to the very last line in the assignment and make a mistake and have to start all over again. BUT, I learned and that class and that teacher was responsible for me being able to make a decent living for many, many years. And now that I've given away my approximate age by telling you that I learned typing in the days when it was still typing and not keyboarding, and before white-out or backspace or cut and paste. Some day I may even tell some of you about typing with carbon paper! Now that was an experience!!

Reply by HisHughness on 2/21/05 2:59pm
Msg #21661

Dorothy/MI recalls:

***Some day I may even tell some of you about typing with carbon paper! Now that was an experience!!***

You're a child, Dorothy. Let me tell you about mimeograph machines...

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/21/05 3:07pm
Msg #21668

Hugh, didn't you tell me that couldn't make mistakes in your writings because your stone tablet allotment was too small?

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 2/21/05 3:17pm
Msg #21672

Hugh, not only do I remember mimeograph machines, I remember ditto.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/21/05 3:20pm
Msg #21673

Ditto!

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/21/05 3:51pm
Msg #21679

Just love all these daily reminders that let me know how old I'm gettin'...Brenda Tea at high noon sounds good, I'll bring the extra additive Smiley
Perish the thought of PAW being out of commission - no pun intended!

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/21/05 5:14pm
Msg #21702

I just love it when I can stir the pot a little! The point that has been made so unalterably clear is that it is the responsiblity of the poster to first research your question through official sources. The answer may or not be here, better to make your own mistakes rather than have it spoon fed to you.
High tea??? I'll have a Chivas on the rocks!
Cheers!

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 2/22/05 3:28pm
Msg #21833

Re: Just a question....I'll join you John n/m

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/21/05 7:46pm
Msg #21718

I remember the ditto machine and I don't consider myself old at all. Of course, I think I was in 1st grade when I got to run the ditto machine for Mrs. Cotton.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/21/05 8:09pm
Msg #21720

Was that the purple ink?

If so, I think I was a ditto ink sniffer.

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/21/05 8:58pm
Msg #21727

Yes, it was.

I guess the smell was kind of comforting to me too. I always wanted to be the one picked to make the copies for the class. As I remember, the real fun was making the "proof" or the original that was put in the ditto machine to make the copies. It was a lot of work, cranking (and, I mean literally) out the days work.

Reply by christiSocal on 2/22/05 2:50am
Msg #21758

It's been a really long day, to relax I like to read postings.(sad uhh?) This posting made me chuckle and remember some things long forgotten! THANKS

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 2/22/05 7:35am
Msg #21770

Ahhh! The good ol' days of yesteryear!

Milk that came in bottles with the cream on top. Left outside the door in an insulated box, delivered by Bordens in a horse drawn carriage- with a red oil lit latern in back of the wagon- leaving the wagon wheel tracks in the fresh snow. (and that was Brooklyn 1940?) Yikes!!

Another horse drawn wagon that delivered blocks of ice for our "ice-box"-- when cash was meager- a fifteen cent chunk would last 2 days-- or 25 cents would make it until the ice man came again.

Yes- us city kids- only knew that milk came in bottles- and it tasted soooooo good! Why did we ever have to learn " the rest of the story?". Dream on- Dream on! and on- and on - and on.

Reply by Art_MD on 2/22/05 3:42pm
Msg #21837

Re: Remember this

remember ??

The fax machine where you tucked the paper under a metal bar and as it turned (3 minutes/page) it went

flap, flap, flap....

Art

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/22/05 3:53pm
Msg #21839

How 'bout 20ma Current Loop interfaces (for mainframe to dumb terminal, teletype and PT readers).

Reply by Art_MD on 2/22/05 3:55pm
Msg #21841

how about a winchester drive?
1200 baud modem ?
Ammonia from the copy machine?
no numbers on checks ?

Art

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/22/05 4:20pm
Msg #21846

1200 baud!! How about 150 baud!! And accoustical couplers. M-33 and M35'ss with and w/o ptr and ptrp.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/22/05 7:12pm
Msg #21878

Yes, I remember 150 Baud, and ...

... 110 Baud (Model 33 Teletype) and ~85 Baud (Model 28 Teletype). And I used to be able to whistle to an acoustic coupler and have it think I was a carrier. Now it's only ulcers for which I'm a carrier.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/22/05 7:14pm
Msg #21879

And literally using a hammer on the selector magnet driver to demagnitize it?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.