Notary Rotary
Just did my first signing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 2/24/05 10:33pm
Msg #22308

I just completed my first signing tonight and need to FedEx papers out tomorrow. How do I know if I did everything correctly before I send paperwork? I have checked everything 2-3 times, but am still nervous. Are the signing and title companies easy to work with if I made a mistake and should I tell them this was my first one? Also, the name was misspelled on some of the documents. If this requires a return trip because of the title companies mistake, do I charge for a second trip? (This was over 100 miles round trip) If the mistake is mine, do I return for a "freebie"? I just need some reassurance I guess. Thanks for any one who will answer and help.

Reply by Anonymous on 2/24/05 10:59pm
Msg #22324

Did the borrower correct and inital the corrected changes? Was there a name affadavit in the package?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/24/05 11:21pm
Msg #22336

What difference would it be if there was a name affidavit in the package? Name affidavits are for identifying an alias, a name that was previously USED for other reasons, such as a woman's maiden name. Name affidavits are not to be used to correct spelling errors. The E&O Compliance Agreement is for fixing typographical mistakes.

Reply by linda on 2/25/05 7:11am
Msg #22379

I agree with Ted. I have a friend (real estate atty) who I practically fax'd the whole pkg to before I sent my 1st back. I was a wreck! Check everything ONE LAST TIME, make sure all your notorial pages are completed State, County is filled in where dates are suppose to be your stamp/seal, signature everything and then check all pages where borrower is suppose to sign and date (if dates were required on some of their pages.) SEND IT BACK ON TIME! you will be fine! We have all been there! Good luck and success, Linda

Reply by Anonymous on 2/25/05 8:27am
Msg #22387

Yes, on both accounts.

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/24/05 11:00pm
Msg #22325

Anon,

Boy, you have asked a lot of questions. Let's see. How do you know if you did everything correctly? You won't . Even if you did everything correctly might the lender or the title company want something different? Yep, they could. It has happened to me.

Are signing and title companies easy to work for? Well, as a general rule signing companies will cut you more slack. As title companies pay more, they expect you to have your act together and know what you are doing.

Would I tell them that this is your first signing? Nope? What purpose would be served by that?

As far as charging for a second trip for a title company's mistake, let me tell you I sure would. All you have to sell is your time. I had one signing that extended over three days; was at the borrowers twice on a Wednesday and then later on a Saturday, all through no fault of my own. And I negotiated an additonal charge each time.

And yeah if you screwed up, you should do it on your own nickel. For sure. Have done that too. But luckily not that often.

Reply by conkeylam on 2/24/05 11:56pm
Msg #22341

Don't fret. The first time is always nerve racking. Checking the docs 2 & 3 times is always a good thing. I do this everytime. Now, if the name was wrong on the docs, and the signing/title company needs you to go back for a resign, then of course you would charge. It wasn't your fault the docs were incorrect. Now, if you made a mistake then you would be required to go back out without pay. I hope they paid you well for having to drive 100 miles. I made myself a new rule with my max miles. It gets really hard when your driving that far. Good Luck in the future. And don't forget to Breathe.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/25/05 1:00am
Msg #22348

"And don't forget to Breathe."

OK, I have seen this "advice" given out in this group several times lately. I've gotta say, the purpose of it is completely lost on me. Anyone wanna help me out and explain it?

Reply by Erna_CA on 2/25/05 1:16am
Msg #22350

From reading the post it showes panic. And often folks forget to breath when in a panic. Hens the advize . TAKE A DEAP BREATH. or dont forget to BREATHE. Or just plain CALM DOWN lol

Reply by Notary too.. on 2/25/05 8:17am
Msg #22385

Re: Just did my first signing-I can believe that!!

But where have the "spelling police" been lately?
I have really been surprised that someone can become a notary and their spelling is so terrible that it makes me wonder how they ever passed the exam or even filled out their application forms.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/25/05 11:37am
Msg #22432

Re: Just did my first signing-I can believe that!!

You rang?

Actually, I've been invited by BrendaTX yo join a twelve-step program to kick my spelling obsession. Wish me luck!

Reply by Anonymous on 2/25/05 8:36am
Msg #22390

You are right. There was a bit of panic in my questions last night. Thanks for all the good advice from everyone. I guess we were all there at one time and seems you all got through it okay. Thanks to all !

Reply by thnotary_NY on 2/25/05 12:08pm
Msg #22444

Try not to and see what happens

Reply by Anonymous on 2/25/05 8:33am
Msg #22388

Thanks. I think I got paid fairly well. It ended up being $70 after my expenses. That's just a walk in the park in Montana. Appreciate your comments.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/25/05 12:55pm
Msg #22453

You will be ok. Go over the papers before you leeve, If you run into something you are not sure of call the folks that hired you and clarify. Put stiky arrows where signatures are needed. if you leeve for the signing well prepared you will avoid the panic. My first signing was terrifying. Good luck Smiley

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/25/05 2:09pm
Msg #22468

Stickies: Echoing a previous post

When you use Post-Its or sticky flags or ..., either take 'em off as you pass the document to the signer(s) or put the flag way away from the signature line. I've had more than one signer sign partially on the flag itself! (sigh) Live and learn. Hopefully through somebody else's experience.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.