Notary Rotary
Last Minute Callers
Notary Discussion History

Last Minute Callers
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Mysti_FL on 2/26/05 3:56pm
Msg #22639

Last Minute Callers

I had one local company calling me on two occasions yesterday afternoon and evening, one for a 100 (one way) miles signing, then later for one about 120 miles away. I already had a booking for 7:30 but they waited until 6:30 to send me the docs, so I was panicking since I have not done anything with this company!

I have in the past received a call as late as 2:30 PM, with docs sent at 4:30 PM to have to be at an appointment at 7:30, which was 120 miles away. Although the adrenaline rush is fun and although I do charge more for this type booking, it can frazzle your nerves (specially since I don't have a laser printer yet). Therefore, if my local rate is $60 - 70, I will charge $90 plus trip fee ($30). (Comfortable with that, o elder ones?)

The question is: I'm new and of course have not been called often so I don't like to turn any down. Is this last minute request typical? I've only done three. Of those three, two were same day rushes. And of course, it happens at the end of the month.

Is this something any of you make a living off of? In other words, do you ONLY work at the end of the month so that it really cannot be more than a part time job?

Mysti

Reply by Paul/MD on 2/26/05 4:47pm
Msg #22641

Mysti, I do this full time.... and have been doing this for a long while. I do take last min. deals especially if I have a relationship with the Signing Company/Title Company. It does appear that these last min. deals tend to take up more time then they should.

When you get to know the people you are working for you will be much choosier and you will tend to turn down the ones far away.

In the last year, I have not done one farther than 20 miles from my home. Of course this totally depends on your geographic area etc...

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/26/05 8:38pm
Msg #22683

I wote for Brother. Had this one for years and never a problem.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 1:05pm
Msg #22736

Thanks, Erna - PCL isn't a problem for you with a Brother (whatever that means!).
Mysti

Reply by Mary Pierce on 2/26/05 5:04pm
Msg #22644

Mysti what are you printing your docs on if you don't have a laser printer?

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/26/05 8:13pm
Msg #22672

Right now, I'm using an HP 5110 all in one (officejet). This one doesn't even belong to me (I work from home during my day job and my company installed it for me). I had taken mine off my computer so that I would only have this one installed (since I also have an Epson R300 installed), but mine is also an HP inkjet anyway. So, I plan to go next weekend (income tax) and buy a laser printer. I really would rather purchase a Brother, because I really hate HPs (bought them all my life and just realized they rarely last over a year or so).

Mysti

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/26/05 5:38pm
Msg #22649

I'd reply, but you were such a jackass in a recent thread that I think I'll pass. I'd hate to be called a know it all.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/26/05 8:14pm
Msg #22673

Do you pride yourself on your name calling? Certainly beneficial!

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/27/05 1:46pm
Msg #22744

Yeah, just as beneficial as YOU writing smartass stuff like:

"Talk about knowing it all! How many years has Jon been doing this? So he knew the answer to every single question BEFORE he got started? He had no moments of indecision or need for confirmation of his information before he gave out the answer or did the job?

And lastly, was JON THE KNOWLEDGEABLE able to walk as soon as he came out of the womb?

Ahhhh, should we be as well versed in all aspects of life as he is."

Would you care to tell me how you calling Jon a know-it-all is somehow less of name calling than me calling you a jackass for calling him a know-it-all?

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 9:07pm
Msg #22785

I was responding to his reaming out folks for innocent questions. Funny, this is the only "professional" board that I have ever read that is so out and out bitchy! Are we ALL women on this board? (I know, I know! I'm gonna get it for this one!)

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/27/05 9:46pm
Msg #22791

And I was responding to a brand new poster on the board who has the nerve to try to tell us what tone and what responses we should give in here.

There's really not an iota of difference between what you and I did, other than your opinion that yours was somehow valid and mine wasn't.

The funny thing is that you're still namecalling. I'm not. So who's really the bitchy one here?

Reply by Tom on 2/26/05 5:45pm
Msg #22650

I can't believe you would drive 100-120 miles for a signing. My normal is 25 miles one way but will sometime go 30 for extra fee.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/26/05 8:14pm
Msg #22674

Well, I am new and trying to break in. What can I say?
Mysti

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/26/05 7:08pm
Msg #22656

**I have in the past received a call as late as 2:30 PM, with docs sent at 4:30 PM to have to be at an appointment at 7:30, which was 120 miles away. Although the adrenaline rush is fun and although I do charge more for this type booking, it can frazzle your nerves (specially since I don't have a laser printer yet). Therefore, if my local rate is $60 - 70, I will charge $90 plus trip fee ($30). (Comfortable with that, o elder ones?)**

How are you printing docs without a laser? Is the $60, $70, $90 for e-docs?

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/26/05 7:11pm
Msg #22657

If it's not a laser printer I'd surmise it must be an ink jet printer.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/26/05 8:17pm
Msg #22677

Yes it is. I know, not the best idea. But I may be buying the new Brother 8220 next week. Still doing a little more research......just cannot trust the HPs.
Mysti

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/27/05 1:12pm
Msg #22738

Mysti,

Are you taking the inkjet printed copies to have them copied on a laser at Kinko's or somewhere similar?

No one may ever notice that you have not used a Laser, but it would be better for all concerned if you payed a few dollars to make sure the print on the docs will be permanent until you get a laser printer.

A few water drops off the bottom of a glass will reveal your docs are not laser printed.

Some county recorders may not accept them either way.

Brenda

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/27/05 1:39pm
Msg #22742

"Not the best idea" is an understatement. There are specific reasons why they don't let us use ink jet printers for edocs. Did you actually tell these companies that you were going to print the docs on ink jet, or did you just take it upon yourself to do it?

BTW, I have the Brother 8220 and really have been happy with it. It's a little noisy, but that's my only complaint.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 3:10pm
Msg #22764

It didn't come up in the conversation (even with the ss who sent me a docmaster doc and it wouldn't print---she obviously didn't understand enough to ask me that pointed question). So until I started reading messages here, I wasn't aware of need for a laser printer. Now I know and will purchase one next weekend.

PS, I am soooo glad you have the 8220. That is the one I want and now that I found someone else has it and it is working for the e-docs, I am definitely buying that one....heck, may go out today if I get tired of being cooped up and purchase it!

Mysti.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/26/05 8:16pm
Msg #22675

Using a regular HP All In One. And actually, the company used DocMaster and therefore had to fax me the whole document when I couldn't download the file (no PCL I presume)!!!
Obviously, she was desperate! Actually, so was I! LOL.
Mysti

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/26/05 9:06pm
Msg #22691

Mysti_FL

I took a last minute call night before last the call came in at 1:30 pm for a 6:00 pm appointment. Well I did not get the edocs until around 4:30 pm or 4:45 pm. My laser jet is not very fast so I was still coping at 6:45 pm needless to say I did not make the 6:00 pm appointment. I had called and sat it for 7:00 but the location is 45 minutes from here. Also, the sellers were there too and when I got there everyone was just setting around chatting. What makes this even worse is the buyers were taking out another loan and those papers were not in my docs. I got home and discovered them on my computer and they were not there when I did the other docs. So I called the borrowers and told them what had happened and made arrangements for the next afternoon to finish the signing.

Hope this does not happen again.

Reggie

Kansas

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/26/05 9:17pm
Msg #22695

I learned my lesson. Now i ask every time. How many emails and please number them as 1 of 3 if i am to look for 3 emails. same has happened to me. Loan package came in at 2 pm and i left for signing at 5.45 for a 6 o'clock apointment. Came back to find another email sent at 5.50

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/27/05 12:45am
Msg #22706

That sounds very similiar to my experience how did you handle it?

Reply by Marla_NorCal on 2/27/05 2:22am
Msg #22708

I had a call yesterday for a 2:00 p.m. signing, didn't get the doc's 'til 3:30!! Luckily, I knew the borrowers, and we rescheduled for 6:00 p.m. Geesh, talk about late...........
Marla

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/27/05 12:24pm
Msg #22728

Re: Last Minute Callers To Reggie

I called the borrowers and went back to have them sign, wasnt their fault, lucky they were close by. Since then i ask every time. how many emails and is this everything, because a lot of times you will not get all the docs at the same time. all loans are not the same so there is no way of knowing. I had gotten the loan and the title docs was not aware there was more. Most of the time i get 2 email. Loan package in one. and title doc's in another, then sometimes they have a third email even 4th.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 1:07pm
Msg #22737

Hi Reginald,
Well, you know what. That story helped. I hope it doesn't happen, but just knowing that weird stuff happens to others makes it a little easier to swallow my own stuff.

The only thing I really have to overcome now is second-guessing myself.

Thanks for your reply,
Mysti

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/27/05 5:06pm
Msg #22776

Mysti_FL

Thanks for reading it I only hope I never get another one like that. I worked on that one so many hours that even with what they are paying me I still won't make anything. Next time I get a late call my fee is going to show what it should be instead of what they think should be paid. I am a little discussed even now after it is all over. I guess I just need to chill.

Reggie
Kansas

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.