Notary Rotary
Looking for work
Notary Discussion History

Looking for work
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Carmen Young on 2/9/05 10:34am
Msg #19915

Looking for work

I have been a Notary/signing Agent since 12/17/04. I have not done any signing yet. Is there someone out there who can take me along to a couple of signing so that I may start this wonderful adventure in the Notary world....Please help!

Stockton, CA

Reply by ColleenCA on 2/9/05 10:43am
Msg #19917

Yes, it's very frustrating, isn't it? I have had my commission since November, and after signing on with many SS's, Title and Escrow I have only had one "bite" for a $40.00 signing and turned it down. I think my area of Southern CA has been saturated and unfortunately it is going to be very hard to break in. Good luck to you!

Reply by Woody on 2/9/05 10:57am
Msg #19922

I have had my commission since December 18, 2004. I have signed up with many SS's. I have not had any calls at all. It looks like it going to be tough getting started. Hang in there!

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 2/9/05 11:05am
Msg #19925

I would suggest sign up with a minium of 125 SS's. It is just like real estate, but instead of location, it is marketing, marketing, marketing. Almost all of these types have huge free lists of companies that are at your disposal. Use them. Precision is a good company to start with if you are new. They are supreme handholders who will get you through your first signings.

http://www.precisionclosings.com/

Reply by Dogmonger on 2/9/05 11:07am
Msg #19927

PS

Once you get to 125, don't stop, keep marketing. I try to do marketing every chance it get, and it always pays dividends

Reply by DellaCa on 2/9/05 11:08am
Msg #19928

Hi Carmen , it will happen.
See you Sunday? Looking forward to it.
Della

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/9/05 11:25am
Msg #19930

Re: Just a suggestion

If you began this wonderful adventure after the NNA took your good money in order for them to put on more seminars and grow their membership with more unsuspecting souls (into what, in many areas, is already an oversatured market -- which I'm sure you were not told at the time that they gladly took your money), may I suggest you call the NNA themself and suggest that they take you on ride-alongs/sign-alongs with one of their employees/instructors.

Reply by ColleenCA on 2/9/05 11:36am
Msg #19932

Yes, you are right about the NNA! When I received my commission, I called and asked about a "ride along". I was told they never suggest to any of their members to do that, but instead to seek out boards like this one and ask to go with any notaries in your area. Oh well!

Reply by DellaCa on 2/9/05 11:41am
Msg #19934

I hear so much negitive about NNA I am glad for that reason I did not get my training there , I had not even heard of them at the time of my training, Carmen had the same training as I did. Is it true they give wrong info when you call with a question?

Reply by ColleenCA on 2/9/05 12:22pm
Msg #19944

Actually, I didn't receive my education through the NNA, just joined afterward. I have not had a reason to call their NSA hotline as of yet, although I did study and take their Certified Notary Loan Signing Agent course and they screwed up on sending my certification. After speaking with 5 different people there, I finally had the correct certificate mailed after 1 month of trying.

Reply by Carole/NJ on 3/9/05 11:12pm
Msg #24646

Since I am just starting this as a business, where do you get training in this field?
Just point me in the direction please.
Thanks
Carole

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/11/05 9:32am
Msg #20207

Colleen,
Actually I was being sarcastic in suggesting that the NNA would allow ride-alongs with their instructors.

My whole point was that they are constantly doing mass mailings for their signing seminars/membership drive and giving false hopes to new NNA recruits in already over-saturated areas. Many of the new recruits have never been a notary before taking the NNA seminar and/or certification exam. I was a notary for 10 years before taking their signing seminar and becoming a member of the NNA. I was under the false impression that the NNA was an organization where I would be able to get accurate information for the times I was unable to reach my own Secretary of State on the phone. Fortunately, I have only contacted the NNA twice, and each time I was given inaccurate information.

My NNA membership expires the end of this month. NNA has made it hard to forget the expiration date because they have been sending *Renew Immediately* notices for eight months. I've been straddling the fence in my decision of renewing my membership. I've got a couple more weeks, but it goes against my grain to give them more money which they will use in giving false promises and hopes and impressions to unsuspecting souls who believe the phone will ring off the hook and that they can immediately earn a living of doing signings full time the day after the seminar. For the few signing agents who support the NNA and applaud them for the number of signings they receive, I'm glad for you. However, I suggest you not get used to the excessive number of signings you are getting from SSs, because the NNA will be doing their part in making your area as over-saturated as some of the rest of ours.

Reply by Anonymous on 2/9/05 2:52pm
Msg #19963

I pretty got most of my work from NNA site. I became a member and I was getting calls about do signings and at the time I didn't know what that was. I was living in Florida at the time; I kept getting calls on my cell and since I didn't answer the call asap they went on to the next notary. I since then moved to TN and decided to do one and I have been blessed by all the work they have here. Good luck! My suggestion is to sign up for all the free SS you can and keep in mind you will run into some bad ones.

Reply by butler on 2/11/05 3:25am
Msg #20182

"SS"--meaning signing service companies?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/11/05 11:19am
Msg #20220

Yes, SS == Signing Service n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.